Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

its all going slooooow (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 24 December 2018 - 10:20 AM

Two things that commonly affect the % of RAM that is shown to be being used are how much physical RAM there is and what if any applications are running in the background, Chrome and Task Manager ru... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

do the ram sticks not have to match then?...22 quid sounds much better than 60 lol..

i have another thumb drive somewhere, ill dig it out

and proceeding WITHOUT any upgrades or clean installs would be my preferred option if thats ok with you...i'll leave all that as a last resort

just for curiosities sake, is it not possible to replace the win8 on the partition and replace it with win10...i would imagine its not as you would've suggested it, just wondered why :)

thanks bud

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

It is when possible best to use matching pairs of RAM but when it is not possible for one reason or another as long as the specs of the RAM are the same you should not have an issue.

Will answer your other question first as the next suggestion will be to help with improving performance;

just for curiosities sake, is it not possible to replace the win8 on the partition and replace it with win10...i would imagine its not as you would've suggested it, just wondered why 

Can`t be done and explaining as to why not is difficult I`m afraid  :( when Windows is installed it is on more than one partition, check your Speccy url and you will see partitions on the HDD that you most likely never knew were there, see if the thread here explains it any better than I can.

Post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

i tried to follow the partition post, but my head started to hurt lol, so i will remain blissfully ignorant of such things :)

autorun text attached (i hope )

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
i tried to follow the partition post, but my head started to hurt lol, so i will remain blissfully ignorant of such things 

Yep, me too  :lol: 

Autoruns looks pretty clean with only Google and HP updates starting on boot when there is no need for them to, not worth bothering with as it would not change much.

See if msconfig helps, the below provided courtesy of colleague ztruker  :thumbsup:

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab (for Windows 8, the Startup tab has a link to open Task Manager/Startup tab. Use that.) make a note of what is currently starting then click the Disable Allbutton.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.

Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services until you find the culprit.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

couldnt find the start button, but found a "run" in windows system so used that...

system configuration only has 4 services running, intel graphics rapid storage, intel HD graphics control, realtek audio and SynTPEnh caller service

startup in task manager has 3

jaqui lawson calender which i cant do anything with cos wifey will chin me lol..its her christmas calendar, realtek audio manager and windows defender

all other services are labelled stopped or disabled

am i ok to stop these ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

All good there so no need to disable anything, this also avoids the risk of getting on the wrong side of the good lady  :)

We are almost out of things to check and other than the following we can only stress test the HDD, we cant do this until all your data has been backed up as stress testing a flaky HDD can cayse it to fail.

Download and run CrystalDisk info standard edition from here

Run the program, grab any screenshots and attach to your next reply for us.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

fingers are crossed this works

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot1.jpg
  • screenshot2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not quite right but we can see from the info in blue in the top left hand corner of your screenies the HDD is healthy.

Upgrading the RAM and lastly a clean install of Windows on its own partition are the only two things left, there is nothing wrong with your computer so there is nothing to fix.

Something for you to try when you have the time, give Ubuntu a go, runs from disk or a USB thumbdrive, see here

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

should i get the new ram before we do the partition or can we do that anyway ?

i put ubuntu on a usb stick but i cant get the lappy to boot from it, tried restarting, shutdown and re start, restart holding f12 and restart tapping f12...nothing works...i probably forked something up :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I would get the RAM first but only when it is appropriate, as mentioned above, there is nothing wrong with your computer so nothing to fix, upgrade the RAM first and see if you are happy with the improvement in performance that you get from that, I suspect that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

ok bud, ill get it as soon as i can....do we put this topic on hold till then or close it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
To see if you can get the notebook to boot from the thumbdrive,  please see my canned info below, see how this goes and we can go from there, upgrading the RAM belongs on the Hardware Forum but if it will be done in the near future you could just update this thread when you are ready;

For computers that have UEFI as opposed to legacy BIOS, to be able to boot from your USB device you may need to disable secure boot and change UEFI to CSM Boot, not all computers and BIOS are the same, please refer to your user manual if you have one as the following steps are only one such example.

Restart the computer, Windows 8 and 8.1 from the Start or desktop screen move your mouse pointer over the upper or lower right corner of the screen, when the Windows Charms appear click the Settings Charm, click on Power and then the Restart option.

Windows 10, Click on Start,Power and then Restart.

While the computer is re-starting,you will need to continually tap or hold down the particular key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer, we will use the F2 key as an example here;

After restarting the computer, when the screen goes black, press and hold down the F2 key, wait for the BIOS to load.

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

cool, i think i will leave the ubuntu till ive changed the ram, we'll see how it goes..

ill get it as soon as i can...

may i take this opportunity to express my most fervent thanks to you for your help, and to all your other colleagues for the help they give others, you are truly all legends

may i also wish you all an awesome christmas, and an exceptional new year

regards

nige

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Nige,

The idea behind trying Ubuntu was to see if the computer was any faster so do it whenever you are ready.

Thanks very much for the kind words, we appreciate it  :)

Merry Xmas and hopefully a prosperous New Year to you and yours  :thumbsup:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

To see if you can get the notebook to boot from the thumbdrive,  please see my canned info below, see how this goes and we can go from there, upgrading the RAM belongs on the Hardware Forum but if it will be done in the near future you could just update this thread when you are ready;

For computers that have UEFI as opposed to legacy BIOS, to be able to boot from your USB device you may need to disable secure boot and change UEFI to CSM Boot, not all computers and BIOS are the same, please refer to your user manual if you have one as the following steps are only one such example.

Restart the computer, Windows 8 and 8.1 from the Start or desktop screen move your mouse pointer over the upper or lower right corner of the screen, when the Windows Charms appear click the Settings Charm, click on Power and then the Restart option.

Windows 10, Click on Start,Power and then Restart.

While the computer is re-starting,you will need to continually tap or hold down the particular key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer, we will use the F2 key as an example here;

After restarting the computer, when the screen goes black, press and hold down the F2 key, wait for the BIOS to load.

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

hello mate...well, i tried and failed with the bios  lol.....there was no secure boot option in security, just passwords,  but found it in sys config...also there was no option to change uefi to csm, the only reference i could find was in legacy...didnt want to change that as dont know what it is, there was an enable or disable option....at a complete loss now and my head hurts lol...thought it best to exit without saving changes