Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

its all going slooooow (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 24 December 2018 - 10:20 AM

Two things that commonly affect the % of RAM that is shown to be being used are how much physical RAM there is and what if any applications are running in the background, Chrome and Task Manager ru... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

If you enable the Legacy boot option the computer should boot from your USB device, enable and disable are easy to reverse and neither affect any other hardware.

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

cool, ill give it a go...

thanks mate

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome  :)

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

well that didnt work lol.it still boots to windows..disabled secure boot and enabled legacy support but it says the uefi has priority over csm....do i need to change priority ?????i can feel an embolism coming on :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You need to change the boot order so that the USB thumbdrive is the first boot device, sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

WOW what a difference....mouse pad is more responsive, pages load faster, its just smoother and faster all round....thanks for the pointer....if i install it does that mean i wont be able to use windows, cos im not sure if my wife will like it....is dual boot a possibility ( if thats even a thing, sure i heard it somewhere )

thanks bud, you the MAN

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

WOW what a difference....mouse pad is more responsive, pages load faster, its just smoother and faster all round....thanks for the pointer

You are welcome  :)

You can dual boot Ubuntu & Windows 10, some info here

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

think i'll leave it on the stick for now, that looks waaaaaaaaaay too complicated :)...ram stick on order, hopefully get it tomorrow ( gotta love prime ).....is it ok to message when it arrives or shall i leave you in peace till after christmas

thanks bud :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No worries, now you are clued up as to how to use Ubuntu you can use it at your leisure, it is also a great tool for backing up data from a computer that will not boot, I will just mention that Ubuntu would not boot so quick from the present 5400rpm HDD.

Reply when you are ready, I will be around  :)

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

hi mate, it has arrived.....ready when you are :)

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

never mind :), all fitted, no noticeable difference as yet but i'll run a few programs and see

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I suspect that you will notice an improvement in the likes of browsing the internet etc, you will also be able to have more tabs open at the same time + be able to swap between them quicker, remember that anything that is being run from the HDD will only run at the speed that the HDD itself is and the benefit of having RAM running in dual channel mode is the quicker transfer/access speed to anything that is temporarily stored in the RAM.

Edit to add: Can you run Speccy and post the updated url for us if you will.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...oLPrs4pw060VCqK

a couple more questions if i may....is it worth upgrading the hdd and would an ssd be better over a 7200 rpm one, i can use this hdd as storage in a caddy then....is it worth spending that kind of money on a 5 year old laptop and can i get rid of all these programs ive downloaded #(ok, that was 5 questions ) :)

thanks again bud and happy new year

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

RAM is working in dual channel now so you should see improvement in the types of use that I mentioned in my reply #42.

Five years is not old for a notebook but only you know whether or not it is worth investing a bit of cash and time into, I would go for an SSD over a mechanical HDD and especially now that SSD prices are so low (they are expected to drop further in 2019) you will need to check if your present device is 7 or 9mm thick but an example of what you can get for less than £40 here

Get rid of any program that we have used as and when you see fit.

You are welcome btw and likewise, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year  :)

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

cool, thanks for the pointer...i'll make the ssd the next project...

shall we close this now, if we're all done ?