Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer unexpectedly rebooting

- - - - -

Best Answer scomar , 27 December 2018 - 06:18 PM

Replacing my backup software resolved the issue.  Thanks for the help. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

scomar

scomar

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Hello,

I have been having an issue with my computer rebooting on its own the last few months.  It usually happens when my backup software runs (AOMEI Backupper  - Just updated a few days ago) runs.  I know this because I use to have it run at 2 AM, then moved it to 3 AM and finally moved it to 4 AM, the event viewer shows the computer rebooting at these time as I moved it.  I have been using AOMEI since March 2018.  My computer is backing up 5 days a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday), but my computer does not reboot on every back up performed.  It seems to be random, some times it goes 5 days without the rebooting other times it goes 3 days.  I have also ran the backup manually to see what happens and it backs up without any issues.  So I am assuming it is not necessarily the backup software, but something else related to when it is backing up since it is not happening every time.

My system info:

Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: 700-215xt, Hewlett-Packard, 2AF7
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 8526180352 bytes total

I have attached a recent Event Viewer report

Below is the report from Who Crashed Me:

System Information (local)
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: 700-215xt, Hewlett-Packard, 2AF7
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 8526180352 bytes total

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. This system is not configured for complete or automatic crash dumps. For best results, configure your system to write out complete or automatic crash dumps. Select Tools->Crash Dump Configuration from the main menu to configure your system to write out complete memory dumps.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Sat 12/15/2018 4:00:56 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\121518-30000-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1AA0A0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x138, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80288FDD9CA)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 12/15/2018 4:00:56 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: amwrtdrv.sys (amwrtdrv+0x14D2)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x138, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80288FDD9CA)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\amwrtdrv.sys
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: amwrtdrv.sys .
Google query: amwrtdrv.sys IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Conclusion
2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

amwrtdrv.sys

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further. 

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
The driver that it is blaming is part of AOMEI Backupper. Are you using the latest version? If not, update to the latest version and test.

If that doesnt help then perform the following:

https://www.tenforum...r-v2-beta15.zip

Please Download and Run the enclosed Log Collector Tool below as follows:

Save log collector v2-betaXX.zip (XX=latest Version) to Desktop
Right click on log collector v2-beta1X.zip in the Downloads folder and select Extract all. This will create a log collector v2-beta1X folder.
Open the log collector v2-beta1X folder and double click on the log-collector shortcut.
A Command Prompt window will open with the Ten Forums Log Collector running in it. Press the Enter key to start the collection process.
Once the process is Finished, Press enter to close it.
(Note the Output location as that is where the zip file is located that you need to upload to the forum.)
Upload the .Zip file to your Reply

scomar

scomar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

The driver that it is blaming is part of AOMEI Backupper. Are you using the latest version? If not, update to the latest version and test.

If that doesnt help then perform the following:

https://www.tenforum...r-v2-beta15.zip

Please Download and Run the enclosed Log Collector Tool below as follows:

Save log collector v2-betaXX.zip (XX=latest Version) to Desktop
Right click on log collector v2-beta1X.zip in the Downloads folder and select Extract all. This will create a log collector v2-beta1X folder.
Open the log collector v2-beta1X folder and double click on the log-collector shortcut.
A Command Prompt window will open with the Ten Forums Log Collector running in it. Press the Enter key to start the collection process.
Once the process is Finished, Press enter to close it.
(Note the Output location as that is where the zip file is located that you need to upload to the forum.)
Upload the .Zip file to your Reply

Thanks dmccoy for your reply and help!

I did update not only the driver, but the entire AOMEI program.  It failed to resolve my issue.  After more research, I discovered a lot of people were having a lot of different issues with AOMEI, so I have uninstalled AOMEI and installed a new backup software.  I will give it a week (my computer has not gone longer than a week without randomly rebooting.  If I still have the issue, I will follow your advise and run the log collector tool.  Again thanks so much for the help.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
You are welcome. I am not sure what backup program you downloaded but highly recommend eithe Macrium Reflect or Easeus Todo Backup which I have used both for many years without issues as well many others consider them two of the best.

scomar

scomar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

You are welcome. I am not sure what backup program you downloaded but highly recommend eithe Macrium Reflect or Easeus Todo Backup which I have used both for many years without issues as well many others consider them two of the best.

Yes, I bought the Easeus Todo Backup.  I did a lot of research and, as you said, those two kept turning up as some of the top backup software.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Okay great.

scomar

scomar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
✓  Best Answer

Replacing my backup software resolved the issue.  Thanks for the help.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Good news. Thanks for the update.