Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

won't boot with external drives hooked up

wont boot

• Please log in to reply

robertzinko

robertzinko

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have a new refurb computer that is running Lenovo Bios set up utility. It starts fine on its own, but it wont go past the "lenovo" screen (into windows 10) when an external harddrive is plugged in. 

machine type and model 10b50001us
system brand id thinkcenter m73

So I went into the startup menu and right now have the following settings (that still wont work)

Primary boot sequence:

Sata 1: st500lm000-1ej162-sshd-8gb
sata 2: matshita dvd-ram sw830

Excluded from boot order:
USB fdd:
usb key:
sata 3:
network 1: realtek pxe b04 doo
otherdivice:
uas hdd:
usb cdrom

I also have my USB legacy support disabled

Dont know what to do next....

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

If it boots up OK when the external hard drives are disconnected then this may be the answer for you. ( just disconnect them before booting up)

When the operating system is trying to boot up it may "look" for the boot information on the external hard drives, and then stall when it can't find any.

Regards

paws

robertzinko

robertzinko

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

umm.....yes, I know this.  I am trying to find a way to boot without disconnecting them, hence my posting.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

If you set the boot priority in the BIOS to internal hard drive as Number 1 and optical driveCD/DVD as boot priority 2 and save the settings on exiting the BIOS there is a chance that it will boot, even with the external hard drive connected.

However the presence of the external hard drive is often sufficient to cause the boot to stall irrespective of the BIOS settings.

Regards

paws