Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running slow, freezing up and now BSOD randomly happening

- - - - -

Best Answer goodylw , 23 December 2018 - 04:16 PM

I don’t think I updated win 10 to 1809. I actually just performed the “reset” in (RE) mode and now it seems to be running much better. It updated onedrive seamlessly. I’m go... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

goodylw

goodylw

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have win 10, upgraded from win 8 this year, and lately my computer has been running slow, freezing and 2 days ago starting the BSOD. Tried taking a pic of the blue screen for info b/c it goes off to fast. Also, my disk is running @100%, non stop. I use avast and ran a boot scan. Found 4 corrupt files from iCloud and thats it. Im using my daughters iPad right now b/c my laptop was TRYING to update Windows but now it has frozen up again. PLEASE (I beg of you) , if you can, HELP!

Attached Thumbnails

• 4C2E96F2-05A0-4817-977D-B50D6B064FB0.jpeg
  • 1115DB53-33BE-41A9-8CD6-1916AE43A855.jpeg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

:welcome:    goodylw,

See if you are able to get into the Windows recovery environment by (RE) using the power on button to start up and shut down the computer a couple of times, power up, while Windows is trying to load, power down using the power button, repeat as necessary until you get into the (RE) if you are able to do this, go into the Advanced options, try the system restore point option first, excuse the title of the guide but see info here

goodylw

goodylw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
1st off, thank you for replying so quickly. I tried system restore and it wasnt successfully (pic below). 9EFF6B8B-0E44-436C-BDB5-250197C71F85.jpeg

Edited by goodylw, 19 December 2018 - 09:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Looks like Windows may have become corrupt  :(

Please try the Refresh your PC in the (RE) Troubleshoot options, this option will attempt to reload Windows while keeping your personal data safe, you may need to reinstall some apps though.

You are welcome btw  :)

goodylw

goodylw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I wanna make sure I’m following you correctly. In my (RE) mode I don’t see “refresh”, I see “reset”. It’s similar to what u said about keeping or removing personal files and then reinstalling Windows.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

By any chance did you update windows 10 from version 1803 to 1809?

goodylw

goodylw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
✓  Best Answer
I don’t think I updated win 10 to 1809. I actually just performed the “reset” in (RE) mode and now it seems to be running much better. It updated onedrive seamlessly. I’m going to try and install google chrome now and then I’ll update you all.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
I actually just performed the “reset” in (RE) mode and now it seems to be running much better.

That`s good news, was all your personal data still there afterwards.

goodylw

goodylw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I actually just performed the reset in (RE) mode and now it seems to be running much better.

That`s good news, was all your personal data still there afterwards.
Yes it was still there. Sadly, its still running slowly and I was able to get 3 updates installed but the largest of the updates ( pic below) gets to 24% and stops. Ive tried multiple times to install but no success.0EB6A5C9-2910-49D7-B813-966A48E39278.jpeg

Edited by goodylw, 26 December 2018 - 12:43 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

We could do with taking a look at the Disk Manager, see below;

Press the Windows+R keys to open Run, type diskmgmt.msc in the empty box then press OK.

Expand to full screen and then take a screenshot for us.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I'm going to follow this post.  cause my sisters laptop is doing similar things and its a new install. It happened after an update too (the running a little slow part and hanging every now and then)

Edited by KiwiProbie, 27 December 2018 - 03:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Not heard back from you goodylw  , do you still require assistance with installing the updates or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

NB: Cumulative updates can take a long time to download and install and often appear to have stopped on a certain %, there is more than one reason for this but a common one is the quality of the internet connection not being very good, this a particular problem with wireless devices such as notebooks etc.