Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP!

• Please log in to reply

ColdSovereign

ColdSovereign

• Pip
  • 1 posts
HELP!! :tazz:

I've got a a problem on one of my computers at home. I've brought this issue to the IT guys at my work and they are stumped. Can anyone out there help?

Here's the issue:

System is a P3/866MHz with 512Mb RAM, 40Gb HD + 40Gb HD(slaved), running XP Home. System boots normally but at the point where the desktop should come up, all I get is a black screen with the mouse cursor - nothing else. All I can do is Ctrl-Alt-Del to pull up the Task Manager and most of the normal processes are not there. System does not see either of the CD drives. Starting in Safe Mode has the same results as does starting in VGA Mode.

When in Task Manager, I can use the New Task (Run ...) to go the the cmd screen. From there I can use good old-fashioned DOS commands to search for the CD drives, but no luck. I can, however, see the USB port if I plug in one of my flash drives.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you boot to "Last known good configuration"? Have you tried a System Restore to a date before the problem?

If not, disconnect all peripherals except keyboard and mouse.

Use the cmd window to run an SFC
sfc /scannow
(note the space)
You will be asked for the XP cd.

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

System File Checker (sfc)
Scans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer.

Good luck and post back!
Johanna