Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I remove write-protection from my USB Stick?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Onestep

Onestep

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I run Windows 10 and here is my problem that started today. 

Everytime I go to put something on my USB Flash Drive I get a message saying:

"The disk is write protected" -- Remove the write protection or use another disk.

This just started today and I tried another USB stick and it works find?

Advertisements

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

Onestep:

This is not an unusual issue.  Please see this link and try Fix 2 first, since, if at all possible, one should avoid editing the registry unless you are very familiar with the registry and have system restore points to restore the registry, or even better, a full system backup image, just in case something goes wrong.  Incorrect registry editing can render a computer unbootable, so always have a way to restore the registry in case you make an error.

This error can occur when a USB flash drive goes bad as well, so the two fixes proposed do not always work.  A bad USB flash drive needs to be replaced, and since your USB flash drive was working, I am suspicious that it might be a hardware failure issue with that particular USB flash drive ...

Please let us know how you make out.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil