Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to Examine Headers or Raw View in 'updated' yahoo Mail

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I used to be able to right-click on an unopened message in my Inbox, or more commonly, my Spam folder, to open a new tab showing the message in Raw View. Long ago, that worked in both Internet Explorer and in Firefox; for quite a while, only Firefox could do that, IIRC using either the basic or fancier versions of yahoo.

For months, my IE 11 yahoo page was getting a message that yahoo wasn't supported there, suggesting that I to switch  to goooogle chrome, which I won't use. Last week, yahoo reverted (downgraded) my IE page to a plain form which at first didn't even respond. At about the same time, It "upgraded" me in Firefox, giving me a page with such 'important' features as color choices, links to 'coupons', and other (to me) useless stuff. I finally succeeded in reverting to Basic Mail there too. Later I tested the "upgrade" version and found neither it nor the basic now shows the ability to see headers without opening a message first. Yahoo Help says one can see headers by first opening the message...something I don't want to do.

For various reasons, it's not reasonable for me to use a mail client like Pegasus Mail, one I used to use and which could do the task. Does anyone know of an alternative method of viewing the just the headers or the Raw View without first opening the message?

As an example, attached is a copy I saved of a raw view from a spam message I got last summer, one I removed extra space from , highlighted interesting words of, and naturally,  first redacted my information from.

Attached File  Yahoo mail, 6-18-18 .pdf   95.08KB   343 downloads

Edited by TooNew2, 31 December 2018 - 10:45 PM.

Advertisements

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Well, since nobody here had any suggestions but I wouldn't give up, I managed to set up an IMAP account on Pegasus. [The old download method has problems there.] That allows me to see my mail and to examine the headers of messages without opening them and without thereby acknowledging that to the sender. The only problem is that IMAP shows all the folders ... except for Spam!  So, I set up a new folder in yahoo titled A-aSpam (to keep it on top of the list), transferred the spam messages to it in yahoo and then went to Pegasus to examine their headers.