Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random 100% SSD Freezes

Best Answer zapuxas098 , 26 February 2019 - 06:23 AM

Hey, Yeah, it totally does. And I've pretty much done it, but seemed like the windows update brought the issue back. I got news: So I've finally installed windows on my old HDD, all runs smooth h... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Thanks zapuxas098  :thumbsup:

Reason why I asked how many sticks of RAM, if you take a look at your HWMonitor screenshot you will note the VIN 1 to VIN7 readings, two of these are for your RAM, VIN1 is reading 1.5V which is spot on for your spec of RAM but unfortunately it is the only slot that is getting 1.5V, this means that your other stick of RAM is not getting the correct voltage.

Entirely your choice whether you try Ubuntu first or check out your RAM, if me I would check the RAM first as if getting too much voltage it will be getting cooked, let us know what you decide.

Advertisements

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Oh, I'll check the RAM first. Should I use the other 2 slots of RAM to replace them? I got 4 in total. Or should I change the voltages or smth in the BIOS?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

RAM testing steps below, this will take you some time and is best done and left running overnight or if you are out for the day.

How to physically test you’re RAM.

For thorough testing, each stick should be individually tested using Memtest86 and for a minimum of four passes, Memtest86 free download and “how to” guide here

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions first, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the computer power on button for around 20 seconds to get rid of any residual charge in the system, remove the side of the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or the PSU.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of RAM and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of RAM in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of RAM has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of RAM and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all RAM until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is RAM in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI - E slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hello there again,

Hadn't much of time nor the possibility to leave the PC on per night but I tested one stick in the first slot where I normally use it. The test took me 3 hours almost, yet no errors or anything. So I turned the PC with only that stick in the same slot I tested in- Still same freezes and all occur. Should I even bother testing the other slots? Or the 2nd stick which I didn't even use now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190108_012202.jpg
  • 20190108_012217.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

If only to confirm that your RAM is all good, remove the first stick of RAM and run 4 passes of Memtest on the second, if all ok, replace the other stick and run 4 passes of Memtest with both sticks fitted.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Ran the tests today, no errors with both sticks on the dual channel. So I guess it would be the ssd?
Yet I got good news, took another but the same SSD from the shop to test, going to install windows on it and see how that one goes. By the way, do I install windows as GPT or MBR? I took GPT the last few times.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Good news on the RAM at least  :thumbsup:

MBR over GPT on an SSD, for the method I use see example guide here

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Thanks though.

Ah I installed the windows before I got your reply and I took it on GPT, is it worth re-installing? I see MBR should be just slightly better performance related than GPT.

P.S. so far the second SSD is working fine, no freezes. Will see how it goes when I am done with all the drivers and run a game.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I also noticed something that may prove that my first SSD was out of order.
I connected both of the SSDs to my PC so I can transfer the games quicker and then, while doing the transfer, I noticed that the speed each few minutes drops to 0 kb/s and then checked the graphs. As soon as the SSD (Disc 1) reaches 100%, the other SSD (Disc 0) goes to ~10% and less as there's no more work to do a.k.a. data to transfer from the disc 1 which seems to be frozen at 100%. I suppose disc 1 is the older(Buggy) ssd and the disc 0 is the new one performing as it should. Check the video I've recorded with my phone cam to see if I am wrong or it actually proves something.

https://streamable.com/eu8dr

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I connected both of the SSDs to my PC so I can transfer the games quicker

You cannot transfer games from one drive to another, they have to be clean installed.

Advertisements

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I've been doing it for quite a while with plenty of tittles. All were working fine without any performance issues. Only a few games struggled after the transfer.

Although, what did you think about the video and the graphs in it? Going to try a game soon to confirm that the new SSD is working as it should and that there's no more issues.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Couldn't give a great try on the new SSD but once windows asked to install some important updates(KB4480966, KB4477137) and after that, I experienced a few freezes. Going to try more today.

P.S. So I tested more, played and surfed programs etc. Same happens now even with another SSD. But again, I want to point out that my SSD started smashing itself at 100% once I installed the windows update. (Even though before it I didn't test a lot but it was smooth in any case). I installed windows 1/09/2019 10PM, I had 2 hours of smooth experience before the standart Microsoft drivers got installed with the windows update 1/10/2019 0:30 AM (Adding a screen)
Also this could be something that I am suffering from: https://answers.micr...d4-af5a90a5f2ad

And for the last, keep in mind, once the SSD reaches 100%, it is stuck at 0 kb/s write/read.

Attached Thumbnails

• test.png
  • test2.png

Edited by zapuxas098, 10 January 2019 - 01:35 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I've been doing it for quite a while with plenty of tittles. All were working fine without any performance issues. Only a few games struggled after the transfer.

I don`t just make things up zapuxas098, perhaps the article here will help to convince you.

Although, what did you think about the video and the graphs in it? 

Clue here could be the fact that things were going ok until you started copying programs from one drive to another, software has encryption to prevent people from copying it and one or more of the programs or games that you have copied could be causing this behaviour.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Yes, I can't disagree with you, I've also encountered the program issues after copying them. But I want to clear this out, that in this case, stuff that I've transferred - were working just fine. Besides that, please check what I've said earlier, especially the link I pasted here with the very similar issue, those people also tend that the issue was Microsoft's standard driver.

Now I've changed the standard ACHI drivers to AMD ones for my motherboard, manually, and the things were doing fine just yet. Will see how that goes later on.

As for the copying - Don't forget I already have reinstalled windows twice on the first SSD and all programs were installed, not copied there. Still the same issue occurred. I'll keep you updated if my problem is now fixed with the new driver. It was meant to be for Win 8.1 only, but I installed it manually through the Device Manager.

Attached Thumbnails

• test3.png

Edited by zapuxas098, 10 January 2019 - 02:59 PM.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Well...Any ideas? I wonder if installing to Windows 8.1 would help. In case if it's Standard Microsoft driver or other Win 10 related update.