Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random 100% SSD Freezes

Best Answer zapuxas098 , 26 February 2019 - 06:23 AM

Hey, Yeah, it totally does. And I've pretty much done it, but seemed like the windows update brought the issue back. I got news: So I've finally installed windows on my old HDD, all runs smooth h... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hello? Why ignoring?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Have a business to run and not been around for a couple of days.

Clean installing Windows using a genuine Microsoft ISO or DVD and only installing drivers from the MB manufacturer then testing for a couple of days before installing any other software is the only suggestion I can make, if you have a second storage device that you can run games from you could do that as it should not affect the Windows SSD device in any way.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hey again,

So I've finally installed Windows 8.1 for a few days already, everything seemed to be smooth, except sometimes I was getting some weird freezes of the player I was watching a movie on. A few days later, windows has installed auto updates, after that freezes started to occur again, or let's say - more often. So now I ran into the final action I should make - Install windows on my old HDD that was doing fine for a long time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
So I've finally installed Windows 8.1 for a few days already, everything seemed to be smooth, except sometimes I was getting some weird freezes of the player I was watching a movie on. A few days later, windows has installed auto updates, after that freezes started to occur again, or let's say - more often. 

Was this while having just Windows and the MBs drivers on the SSD.

Were the movies being watched via the internet or from disk etc.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I had MB/GPU drivers installed. Plus flashplayer/java/net framework/c++ packs/directx end user pack/k-lite codec pack

Those movies were playing directly from the SSD

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Those movies were playing directly from the SSD

Which at least rules out a bad internet connection.

We know that troubleshooting can take time but sometimes needs must to be able to get to the bottom of an issue, after installing Windows and the drivers for the MB it would have been better to install only one thing at a time and test.

If you haven't done the clean install yet, try VLC instead of k-lite.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hey,

Yeah, it totally does. And I've pretty much done it, but seemed like the windows update brought the issue back.

I got news: So I've finally installed windows on my old HDD, all runs smooth here for the 2nd day already. Going to update if something happens but for now looks like that only the SSD was causing the problem with my system...

Going to keep that in mind, installed only VLC now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Yes, all good now with the old HDD. But it doesn't solve the SSD issue. What could be wrong then?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

It would be pure speculation to even hazard a guess, something that we never do, the only way that we would have been able to give you a definitive answer would have been to start from scratch, install Windows and the drivers for the MB and test for an extended period of time, that is the only way that you could get anywhere near proving if it was the SSD itself or a particular program/software that you were installing, these steps were suggested but unfortunately you did not stick to the plan  :(  

Advertisements

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

But I've installed everything identically as for HDD, multiple of times. Have you ever heard anyone encountering a similar issue?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The mechanics and performance of HDDs and SSDs are vastly different and one would normally expect a faulty SSD to have problems right from the start if it was hardware related.

Have you ever heard anyone encountering a similar issue?

No, it is most unlikely that any two computers in different parts of the world will be built using the same parts, have the same programs installed or be used in the same way.