Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Portable Hard Drive recognized on one computer but not the other

Simple Hitachi 250GB FAT32

• Please log in to reply

joseph456

joseph456

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I have two identical Dell Latitude E6540 computers.  However, when I plug in one particular Simple Drive Mini by Hitachi 250GB portable hard drive (FAT32), one computer recognizes it and the other does not. 

I can use Chkdsk and see folders and files on the computer that recognizes the drive. The other identical computer recognizes the folders and some of the files (when I click on the folders there is nothing in them).  When I try chkdsk it says "...not accessible, the type of the file system is RAW".   Prior to trying the disk on the computer(s) it worked on - one identical to the laptop, the other a desktop - I tried to format the disk on the computer it would not work on and it would not format.

This one particular laptop that will not recognize this portable hard drive will recognize an identical portable hard drive (Simple Drive, Hitachi, 250 GB, FAT32).

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements