Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alright, I'm fed up! I need some knowledge here! [RESOLVED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
The Kaspersky Web Scanner is your solution which is why I instructed you to run it. Since Cleanup did not delete the file, then you need to run that scan. Have you actually tried going to the location of the file and deleting it? But you still need to run that scan.

I can fix your theme no problem...

Click here to download Luna

Unzip it to your deskop.
MOVE the luna.msstyles (which is present in the folder you unzipped) to this folder:

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna

Don't move it to anywhere else than that folder!

When you have moved it there, rightclick on your desktop and go to properties. Look to see if Windows XPstyle is now present again. Choose apply and OK.

If not, reboot first, and try again to select Windows XPstyle.

Advertisements

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I havent done what you just now instructed, but the Windows XP theme is there, and when i apply it, the style doesnt apply....Like its still classic....so i dont think you understand my problem...its there, just doesnt work

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I understand more than you think :tazz: . Follow my instructions. If it doesn't work, we'll figure out why.

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Lol, well, that probelsm fixed! :tazz: Now, one question before I do this online scan....with my SBC Yahoo DSL, how long do you think it will take? Also, am I allowed to have any other programs running during the scan?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
On dial-up it takes anywhere from 8-15 hours so DSL should be half that but it's variable depending on how big your hard-drive is and how many files, etc. Make sure your temporary Internet files are deleted and that will cut down on some of the run time.

I don't recommend doing anything else while it's running.

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
k...I'll do it tonight overnight!

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Peeeeerrrrrfect! I copy the link location, and paste it in internet explorer...fill ot my info, and when i click launch, I get the new window to come up, and it just stays blank.... I tried it in firefox, and the window comes up and has content, but when I try to run it, of course (like you said it would) it doesnt work in firefox...So judging by this, I know something is wrong with my internet explorer....Do you have any suggestions to get me out of this hole instead of digging deeper and deeper?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Let's try this online scan:

TrendMicro's HouseCall - check "Auto Clean"

(Using IE)

If this one doesn't work, we will take a look at your IE settings to see if is allowing ActiveX controls.

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Same outcome as the other one...just a blank screen. By the way, while im talking to someone that knows there stuff, awhile back I downloaded some sort of program for my own use, and for some reason when I removed the program, it deleted the "log off" option from my start menu. I really wish I had this option because I have an older brother that always tries to use my computer... I click on start, and the "shut down" button is there, but no "log off" like there used to be...

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
What program was it you downloaded and removed?

Let's check your IE settings to see if it is allowing ActiveX controls at all (we're going to add ActiveScan to a trusted site for now to see if we can get it to run).

Go to Tools > Internet Options
Click on the Security Tab
Click On "Trusted Site"
Then click the "Sites" button
Add:
http://www.pandasoft....com/ActiveScan
Click OK.
Click on Custom Level and make sure these are clicked:

Automatic Prompting for ActiveX Controls
*Enable

Binary and script behaviors
*Enable

Download signed ActiveX controls
*Enable

Download unsigned ActiveX controls
*Prompt

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe
*Prompt

Run ActiveX Controls and plug-ins
*Enable

Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting
*Enable

Make sure these levels are ONLY set this way for TRUSTED SITES and that ActiveScan is on the trusted sites list

Then please go here:

http://www.pandasoft....com/ActiveScan

And try running the virus scan again.

Advertisements

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Did everything you said, and got the exact same thing I did last time.

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Oh, my fault.... I waited, and I got the new window to load, but the scan wont work because, "browser not supported. ActiveScan requires the browser Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later version." Soooooo yeah...

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
If you were using Internet Explorer, then that's a problem, but if you were trying to use Firefox, I told you a couple of times Firefox will not work that you have to use IE.

So I need you to try to run ActiveScan again using Internet Explorer, and be sure to save the log and paste it here.

Edited by bananafanafo, 26 June 2005 - 01:25 AM.

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
aannnnnnnnnd.....I got the same result.....for some reason it doesnt see that im using Internet Explorer....Also, where can I find the file:

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp

Don't make fun of me, lol. I know a decent amount for a 16 year old about exploere, yet I havent figured out much about the user folders.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I won't make fun of you.

Also, where can I find the file:

Go into Windows Explorer. You can get there by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer.
Go up to "View > Explorer Bar" and put a check next to "Folders". Once the folders are showing on the left, click the "+" next to "My Computer", then navigate to this folder (if you need me to explain it better, let me know):

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp

Go into that Temp folder and delete the file.

Let me know whether or not you can find the file to delete it...

Edited by bananafanafo, 02 July 2005 - 11:17 AM.