Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alright, I'm fed up! I need some knowledge here! [RESOLVED

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Nope, at this point, I havent found anything wrong with my computer...Except how in Internet Explorer wont open new windows when I click certain links, but I use firefox anyway so its not a big deal. Everything seems to be running smooth!

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
If you want to fix Internet Explorer, you would probably need to re-install it. I think something has corrupted it. But, I'm glad everything else is running smoothly! :tazz:

If Norton is old or about to run out, I recommend removing it and replacing it with AVG. It's free and it works great!

Congratulations your log is clean! Great job on the clean up ;)

I recommend checking the http://www.microsoft.com website periodically for critical updates to install.

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Alright, from that list I already have Adaware, and Spybot, but I downloaded Spyware Blaster, to see how that works. Thanks alot!

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I really like Spyware Blaster because you never have to run it, just "enable all protection" and you're good to go. You won't even know it's there ;)

However, I still highly recommend the MVP HOSTS and the Google Toolbar. You definitely need to block pop-ups to help prevent spyware. And you definitely need a real-time protection program to prevent spyware (in addition to SpywareBlaster) rather than just programs just to remove it once you get it - which is what Spywareguard is for. :tazz:

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Do I really need the google toolbar if I'm using firefox?

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Oh yeah, duh, I forgot you were using Firefox ;) lol No you don't need it for Firefox especially since Google toolbar only supports IE. Sorry, blonde moment (and I don't even have blonde hair :tazz: )

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
lol correction, the google toolbar is now available for firefox! check the link you sent me!

olsalesd

olsalesd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
But I now have it on firefox (because I thought I needed it) and one more thing....Do have to run any of the programs I downloaded manually, like weekly? or do I just let them sit and do the work (spyware guard, and spyware blaster I downloaded)

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
lol Yeah, I saw that earlier today! ;)

Spyware Blaster you just open it click "enable all protection" and it never has to be run - you might open it every once in a while to make sure nothing has unchecked itself (in which case you would just click "enable all protection" again), and to check for updates (just click the "updates" button then click "check for updates"). ;) Spywareguard you just leave running in the background, You should open this every once in a while to check for updates as well. Other than that you're good to go! :tazz:

You might go ahead and check updates for Spyware Blaster because some just became available. Also, a note, after you download updates for Spyware Blaster you will need to click "enable all protection" again so that it protects against the new items it just added to the database. :help:

These are 2 excellent programs that I use myself along with the Google toolbar :help:

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Ok, the new topic can be found here:

http://www.geekstogo...oad-t43098.html

Please post to it :tazz:

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.