Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New SSD in Dell XPS X8300 Desktop

Best Answer phillpower2 , 16 January 2019 - 01:41 PM

Hello Ponyroper, Crucial lists SSDs guaranteed compatible when you order from them, see info here so you know that you can fit an SSD without issue, depending on the brand that you p... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

I have an older Dell XPS X8300 Desktop computer with the 1TB SATA RAID system (2 500GB hard drives) that it came with.  It has a 2nd generation i5 -2320 processor, 6GB memory and a 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card.  It originally had Win 7 Home Premium running at 64 bit but has been updated to Win 10.  I would like to know if this system can run a solid start drive as the primary boot drive and if I can make one or both of the 500 GB drives into secondary data storage drives.  If that configuration is possible how do I go about transferring the OS from the SATA drives to the new SSD?  Thanks for any help offered.  tlk

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Ponyroper,

Crucial lists SSDs guaranteed compatible when you order from them, see info here so you know that you can fit an SSD without issue, depending on the brand that you purchase, most have SSD migration software with them but some info on this question here

There are no Dell Windows 10 drivers available for the Dell XPS X8300 so if me I would back up all of the drivers that you are presently using (which must be for Windows 7) clean install Windows 10 on the new SSD and then install the Dell drivers that you need.

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Thanks phillpower2, that helps a lot.  According to Crucial it looks like I will need some sort of 9mm adapter to get the SSD connected.  I haven't found where to get that adapter yet but I'll look some more.  One remaining question I have concerns the 2 HDD Raid system on the computer.  I'm not very familiar with Raid systems or how they work.  Do both HDDs have similar copies of all data and the OS or are parts of each on each of the drives?  If I clone the Raid drives to the new SSD will the SSD be able to work when installed?  I'm wondering if there are settings in Windows that treat a raid System differently than a non-Raid set-up.  Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but this Raid deal is confusing.  If the SSD drive works after cloning can I reformat both HDDs and use them as separate storage drives D: and E:?  Would it be simpler to just do a complete clean install of Windows on the SSD and simply wipe the HDDs and then install them as drives D and E?  I also have questions about how to get the primary drive to only run the OS and how to get the secondary drives to hold programs and data only but maybe I should start a new thread for those questions unless the answers are simple.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Ponyroper,

You will need an adapter of sorts but not the 9mm to which you refer, see example 2.5" to 3.5" disk adapters here

RAID explained far better than I can be found at the article here

Would it be simpler to just do a complete clean install of Windows on the SSD and simply wipe the HDDs and then install them as drives D and E?  

That is exactly what I would do, as per in my reply #2;

There are no Dell Windows 10 drivers available for the Dell XPS X8300 so if me I would back up all of the drivers that you are presently using (which must be for Windows 7) clean install Windows 10 on the new SSD and then install the Dell drivers that you need.

Because you are already running Windows 10 you can download Windows 10 free of charge direct from Microsoft, see Create Windows 10 installation media info here

No need to start a new thread, we should be able to get everything sorted for you in this thread, a question and a job for you to do for us if you will.

Have you backed up all important data that you need from the X8300.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Ponyroper, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.