Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade time!

Best Answer iammykyl , 20 June 2019 - 06:01 PM

Smarty pants  (2)Yes, that kit will work fine.  Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Antec dimensions, 582 mm (H) x 213 mm (W) x 513 mm (D)

Cooler will fit,  height                    160 mm / 6.299 "  

"Do I need a new PSU?"

I thought the PSU was going to your Dad.

Are you keeping the present one that is installed in the Antec case?

Why are you keeping your old SSD? and buying a new one for Dad?

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

The cooler being the dark one 4?

Old psu going to my dad? I never thought about it. He does have his own computer, I was gonna give him my motherboard, ram, cpu, and graphics card, I was keeping everything else and keeping everything else in his, just swapping those parts out, sorry!

The ssd has all my stuff on it and it's less than a year old.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

"The cooler being the dark one 4?"

Yes.

"Old psu going to my dad? I never thought about it."

So you do need a new PSU?

"I was gonna give him my motherboard, ram, cpu, and graphics card,"

The MB is a hiccup here. because,

"The ssd has all my stuff on it and it's less than a year old."

​It also is configured with all the drivers to run the MB, and the OS license is tied to the MB.   If you tried to run your new computer (new MB) it will not work.

A new SSD in your dads build won't work either, there will be no OS, or drivers. 

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

We got windows 10 so it's a simple matter of logging back into the windows account. We got the disks too. I've already done it. :)

EDIT: Switched out nephew's motherboard with one of my old ones. I don't recall doing anything special either.

Edited by heartgrave, 19 January 2019 - 08:14 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

I may be teaching granny to suck eggs here, but, 

Nottes.

Backup your Data first, for transfer to your new build.   You cannot transfer programs, they must be freshly installed to the new SSD. 

When you install your new SSD, installed the OS, installed and updated Drivers, (except the Gpu, use the installation disc, Test,  then, update the GPU drivers).   transfer your Data and test, make sure its all there. 

On your Dad's upgraded PC.   Format the old SSD and reinstall the OS, MB and GPU drivers, Test, then do updates.  

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Thank you, and no, I don't need a new PSU

Sorry, forgot to answer that.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I just want to be sure, that cooler is gonna be enough for my cpu @ 1400rpm?

I am having reservations on the dark one 4 cooler...reviews on newegg say:

it barely touches the cpu,

can't be fully secured, 

not enough tension when mounting to cpu it fits loosely that cooling is affected,

purchased for a Z370 Taichi and covered my ram slots to a point where all ram will not fit,

this thing is a mess to assemble, and still wobbles when installed. The cross bar isn't large enough to prevent any rotating movement, 

The installation is incredibly sub par. Everything is fine until you have to adjust or remove the cooler. To reach the tension screws, you have to first remove the middle fan. This proves incredibly difficult and you with out a doubt will damage the cooler fins in doing so.
- The cooling performance is pretty average. I expected better given the glowing reviews
- Mine corroded within 24 hours. The thermal surface had pits in it and was rough to the touch.

I know I am not getting the Z370 Taichi.

I guess I am willing to go outside of my comfort zone and try a water cooler. I don't know what I am looking at/for when it comes to it though. Keep in mind, my case has a huge, 200mm, top mounted fan blowing air up and out of the top. If good/OK to do, it can be removed. Or, I could settle on the Noctua you suggested but, by god, those colors... :no:  :no:

Per Newegg, Antec Twelve Hundred specifications: 

- 1 (optional) middle 120mm fan to cool CPU or graphics cards

- Water cooling platform for reservoir or pump
- Compatible w/ Antec's 200mm Radiator (designed exclusively for the Twelve Hundred)

And per Antec's website for the 200mm Radiator:
Take your Antec Twelve Hundred gaming case to new levels of cooling with the 200 mm Radiator, specially designed by Antec for the Twelve Hundred. The 200 mm Radiator fits seamlessly beneath the Twelve Hundred's top-mounted 200 mm fan, and enables you to install a premium internal water cooling system. Made of aluminum, the 200 mm Radiator possesses superior heat dissipation and a massive surface area, allowing it to cool even the hottest CPUs, video cards, chip sets and more. Make the switch to water cooling with Antec's 200 mm Radiator, and take your Twelve Hundred gaming case to the next level.

I should be ordering this stuff in mid feb area.

Edited by heartgrave, 23 January 2019 - 07:24 PM.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Sorry if this is too soon to request an update....but any update?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Sorry for the delay.   Just got back from a weeks holiday, will update later today.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Even though you can remove the Bog Boy fan, there is no AIO made to replace it.  I could not find anyone who has done it, even if making mods.

Added the D15 to the list.   I know the colour is awful, I have the previous model, D14.

Remove the PSU, updated list, > https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XW9KD2

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Noticed that the MB Combo deal has finished.   How are things going?

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Hello! Sorry for my delay! I am still waiting on the funds. Should be in a month or so, maybe shorter.

As far as the combo goes, I will re-visit my options closer to the time I should get the funds, but I am definitely doing the upgrade. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Hello! So it's getting closer to the time for me to upgrade. I was looking at my current stuff and was curious if I could just use the i9-9900k cpu in my current motherboard since my current motherboard is also a LGA 1151 socket? The new motherboard I was looking at getting was a LGA 1151 (300 series) socket? Would that even work with the i9-9900k? What is the significance of the "300 series" portion?

I tried a PCpartpicker but it didn't have my old motherboard.

Edited by heartgrave, 20 April 2019 - 08:56 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Hello!, m  was curious if I could just use the i9-9900k cpu in my current motherboard since my current motherboard is also a LGA 1151 socket? The new motherboard I was looking at getting was a LGA 1151 (300 series) socket? Would that even work with the i9-9900k? What is the significance of the "300 series" portion?

No, sorry won't work.   

Socket is the same, but it's the chipset determines the CPU support.  Apart from other added feature, CPU support is the main factor. 

Your MB, Z170 chipset, supports 6th and 7th generation CPUs, list, > https://www.asrock.c...ndex.us.asp#CPU

proposed new MB, Z390 chipset, supports 8th and 9th generation CPUs, list, > https://www.asrock.c...ndex.us.asp#CPU

Is this still going to be your configuration?  > https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XW9KD2

Are you still going to use your existing PSU?

would you like to take another look at a different MB?