Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Case fan is LOUD

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

I have an old Dell Dimension XPS T800r case. I recently swapped out the flat panel monitor which stopped working and hooked up a CRT monitor. When the computer first starts on boot-up, it sounds okay, but when the monitor activates, the fan in the case sounds more like a vacuum cleaner - a REALLY loud hum. I tried opening the case and cleaning it, but it didn't help. If I turn the computer off and re-start, it usually fixes that noise. What's going on here?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Since it is so old, I'd suspect a failing fan (bearing?)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

It sounds like it isn't properly controlling the fan speed. Often the speed is at a lower level and the speed is increased when at high temp. is detected. I wouldn't expect an external monitor would change that though. I had a computer which did that when the CMOS battery died.