My Dell 10 ram pc stalls sometimes and I know it's because of the external hard drives. 4 of them are 2 terabytes, 1 at 4 terabytes and 1 at 10 terabytes. Would more ram help? If there's computers made for running numerous hard drives which is the best at a reasonable (under $1000)? Thanks.
Best pc for running 6 external hard drives from 2 terabytes to 10. Ra
Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:49 AM
How are all of those drives connected to the computer? If through USB, the computer is having to wait for your data to traverse back and forth through the slow USB bus.
Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:10 PM
yes, through multi USB port adapters plugged into the USB ports on the computer. Is there a way around this? Thanks.
Posted 24 January 2019 - 12:55 PM
One would be a motherboard with at least 6 (Intel) x SATA 6Gb/s ports, (and whatever else, such as M.2), and then a full-tower case with at least 6 drive bays.
Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:04 PM
thank you. Is that something I need to make or is there brand (such as Dell) that manufacturers what you are talking about? Thanks again.
Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:08 PM
Tower PC - Desktop featuring Intel Z370 Chipset, 8th and 9th Gen Core i7/i5/i3 (LGA1151), 1x GB (10/100/1000) LAN, HDD or SSD, 1x Serial, Up to 64GB RAM, 5x USB 2.0, 8x USB 3.1, 7x Expansion Slots, 350W ATX-form factor power supply
- Tower PC
- Dimension: 435mm x 190mm x 423mm, Locking Front Bezel
- Featuring Intel Z370 Chipset and 8th and 9th Gen Core i7/i5/i3 (LGA1151) processor
- Full Height Slots:
2 - PCIe x16
3 - PCIe x1
1 - PCI
- LAN: 1x GB (10/100/1000)
- RAID: 0,1,5,10
- Video: VGA + DVI-D + HDMI
- Audio: 7.1+2 Channel HD Audio by Realtek ALC892
5x USB 2.0 Ports ( 2 Front 3 via internal headers )
8x USB 3.1 Ports ( 6 Rear, 2 via internal headers )
1x COM Port (Headers)
See specifications for more ports
- Operating Temperature: 0ºC to 50ºC (32ºF to 122ºF)
- Processor: i3-8100 - 3.6GHz Intel Quad Core CPU - 6MB Cache, UHD Graphics 630 (65W) No WIN 7 Support - Upgradeable
- Memory: 4GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM - Upgradeable
- Hard Drive: 1.0TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5" - WD Blue - Upgradeable
- Power Supply: 350W ATX-form factor power supply - Upgradeable
- Operating System: Not Included - See options below
- Warranty: One-Year Depot Warranty - Upgradeable
Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:19 PM
1) Don't see any SATA ports listed. 2) 350 watt power supply isn't enough for multiple drives.
Here are some motherboards with from at least 6, and on up to 10 SATA 6Gb/s ports: https://www.newegg.c...42899 600360495
And here are full tower computer cases with at least 6, and up to 9 external 5.25" drive bays (plus whatever internal): https://www.newegg.c...30549 600030553 (Note that you could also use hot-swap removable drawer-type hard drive adapters in external drive bays).
Another option is to setup say an 8-bay NAS server on your network, like this one: https://www.newegg.c...8-707-_-Product
Edited by SpywareDr, 24 January 2019 - 01:23 PM.
Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:35 PM
Thanks again. I'm not technically proficient to make my own computer so I am looking to purchase one that has what I need to successfully run 6 external hard drives. I appreciate your info and now know what I need to look for....I think...
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users