Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SSD Upgrade for Desktop PC

Best Answer Crag_Hack , 07 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

Hi again Phillpower.  The SSD upgrade went great today.  Your instructions were spot on and I put the SSD in the 2.5" drive bay described.  BTW how did you happen to find that page w... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Crag_Hack

Crag_Hack

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,839 posts

Hi I'd like to upgrade my PC to an SSD however the screw holes aren't conventional in the hard drive bay.  See here.  What's the best way to handle this situation?
Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Crag_Hack,

Can you post the exact model of HP Pavilion 500 desktop PC for us, there may be an SSD caddy specific for your model, s5305z and s5310t are two examples of model types.

Crag_Hack

Crag_Hack

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,839 posts

Thx Phillpower.  Here 'tis: HP Pavilion 500-267c Desktop PC.  Also those screw holes in the instructions look to be standard for 3.5" drives just on the bottom instead of the sides (I looked at a spare 3.5" I had and sure enough they were there).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Crag_Hack,

Couldn't find anything of any use I`m afraid so you may need to improvise, is the inside of your computer the exact same as at you link, if yes, you could secure the SSD by standing it upright and securing it with zip/cable ties.

I did find a video here but the inside of the case differs from the one at your link.

Crag_Hack

Crag_Hack

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,839 posts

Thx again. How does one use zip ties to secure the ssd?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hang fire on the diy option for now, found the same question answered for another 500 series HP that has the same chassis as at the link in your OP, see info here

You are welcome btw  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

How are things going with this Crag_Hack

Crag_Hack

Crag_Hack

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,839 posts

I will let you know when I do the work.  Waiting on the client (actually not my pc) to get back from vacation.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:thumbsup:

Crag_Hack

Crag_Hack

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,839 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi again Phillpower.  The SSD upgrade went great today.  Your instructions were spot on and I put the SSD in the 2.5" drive bay described.  BTW how did you happen to find that page with ssd upgrade instructions considering it was a totally different model?
Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Crag_Hack,

Glad to hear that the upgrade went well and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup:

did you happen to find that page with ssd upgrade instructions considering it was a totally different model?

I just kept on searching and eventually came across the aforementioned page and spotted that the chassis in the picture there was the same as what you were working with, bit of luck I suppose.

You are welcome btw  :)