Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Will Not Boot Up After Trouble Opening File Explorer [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CEF

CEF

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I recently started having trouble viewing File Explorer on my Acer Laptop (windows 10) I could only pull it up through Task Manager, but even then if I navigated much within File Explorer it would often say "not responding" and close the window automatically.

Once, while operating windows of both File Explorer and Task Manager they both stopped responding and the computer froze. I then turned off the computer to restart it but the screen came up black and said "NO DEVICE TO BOOT." This happened about 3 times (whenever I would turn it off and on again) Since then, whenever I turn the computer on it never gets to the login screen. The Acer screen comes on and at the bottom says "Preparing Automatic Repair" and then leads to the Advanced Options menu.

I'm unsure what steps to take next and am needing some help in that regard. Thanks for any assistance! Also, I'd like the conformation from an expert that whatever step they recommend I take will NOT affect or delete any personal files, as not everything on my computer is backed up. Thank you!

Edited by CEF, 26 January 2019 - 09:38 PM.

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Hi and welcome.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Boot in the Recovery Environment

• Plug your USB Flash Drive in the infected computer
  • To enter the Recovery Environment with Windows Vista and Windows 7, follow the instructions below:
    • Restart the computer
    • Once you've seen your BIOS splashscreen (the computer manufacturer logo), tap the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears
    • Use the arrow keys to select Repair your computer, and press on Enter
    • Select your keyboard layout (US, French, etc.) and click on Next
    • Click on Command Prompt to open the command prompt
      Note: If you can't access the Recovery Environment using the F8 method above, you'll need to create a Windows installation or repair media. It can be made on the computer itself or another one running the same version of Windows as the one you plan to use it on. For more information, check out this tutorial on SevenForums.
  • To enter the Recovery Environment with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, follow the instructions in this tutorial on EightForums
    Note: If you can't access the Recovery Environment using the method above, you'll need to create a Windows installation or repair media. It can be made on the computer itself or another one running the same version of Windows as the one you plan to use it on. For more information, check out this tutorial.
  • To enter the Recovery Environment with Windows 10, follow the instructions in this tutorial on TenForums
    Note: If you can't access the Recovery Environment using the method above, you'll need to create a Windows installation or repair media. It can be made on the computer itself or another one running the same version of Windows as the one you plan to use it on. For more information, check out this tutorial on TenForums.

Once in the command prompt

• In the command prompt, type notepad and press on Enter
  • Notepad will open. Click on the File menu and select Open
  • Click on Computer/This PC, find the letter for your USB Flash Drive, then close the window and Notepad
  • In the command prompt, type e:\frst.exe (for the x64 version, type e:\frst64.exe and press on Enter
  • Note: Replace the letter e with the drive letter of your USB Flash Drive
  • FRST will open
  • Click on Yes to accept the disclaimer
  • Click on the Scan button and wait for it to complete
  • A log called frst.txt will be saved on your USB Flash Drive. Post it in your next reply

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Are you still with me?

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Opened at the user's request.

CEF

CEF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hello again.  I was able to pull up the recovery tool on my infected computer, but in the several times I tried clicking "Scan" the Farbar window was always "frozen."  I waited several minutes and tried multiple times but whenever I would hover over or click a button in the window (even the minimize, maximize and "X") nothing happened.  I also checked my flash drive just to make sure it didn't scan and it did not.  I realize this is a problem on my end and that there may not be much else you can suggest because of that.  I still greatly appreciate your time and efforts.

Edited by CEF, 01 February 2019 - 01:26 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Where you in the recovery environment command prompt?

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Also, is the version of FRST is the correct one, 64 or 32 bit?

CEF

CEF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I was in the command prompt, yes. It did show up where I could click "scan," but it never did respond at all. And it was 64 bit (when I first tried downloading 32 bit on the working computer it wouldn't let me, as it wasn't compatible)

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

Boot to the RE Command prompt. A the prompt type the following and press Enter:

Diskpart

Select Disk 0    [That is Select Disk Zero]

List vol

Exit

Would it be possible for you to to take a picture of that screen and attach it in your next reply?

Advertisements

CEF

CEF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I hope this is correct; I did type in "diskpart /?" As it suggested (after typing what you told me to)
Sorry the attachment shows up sideways.

20190201_231636.jpg

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
No. Each line is a command. Press Enter after each command.

CEF

CEF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
20190202_010459.jpg

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

As you can see the Volume 3 has lost its format. That is the reason it appears as RAW.

Lets try to fix that. Boot to the RE Command prompt. At the prompt type the following and press Enter after each command (The dialog between parenthesis must be received before continue to the next command):

Diskpart
Sel Disk 0 (Disk 0 is now the selected disk.)
List vol
Sel vol 3 (Volume 3 is the selected volume)
Format fs=FAT32 quick
Assign letter=M
Exit
MD M:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot
cd /d M:\efi\microsoft\boot (The pompt should change to M:\efi\microsoft\boot)
Bootrec /Fixboot (If an error is returned, continue with the rest)
bcdboot C:\windows /s M: /f ALL

If successful, restart the computer.

If the computer wont boot, then lets repeat the previous commannd:

Boot to the RE Command prompt. A the prompt type the following and press Enter:

Diskpart

Select Disk 0    [That is Select Disk Zero]

List vol

Exit

Take a picture of that screen and attach it in your next reply.

CEF

CEF

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
So after following those instructions and restarting the computer it came up to this screen. The only place I can go is the UEFI Firmware Settings; any other option goes to the Acer logo screen, then right back to this blue screen.

20190202_111948.jpg