Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seeking advice on transferring data from old IDE drives to Win 10

• Please log in to reply

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Would an adapter be the way to go?-Brand recommendation? other ways??

The Win 10 does not have any IDE ports just SATA.

Edited by JEISEN, 01 February 2019 - 02:39 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

For casual transfers an adapter like this is useful.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hey S.D.

Thanks!

Cosmic-I was just on Amazon looking at a Vantec model. But I'll go with your recommendation.

Yes-very casual transfers. A stack of various IDE drives from old machines or outdated OS's.

I have a 500GB bu drive arriving Tuesday for the Win 10.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

I don't know if they are still available, but there were external IDE cases which attached with USB. This is good if you want access to the drive longer term and it might be cheaper than the adapter.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I don't know if they are still available, but there were external IDE cases which attached with USB. This is good if you want access to the drive longer term and it might be cheaper than the adapter.

Thanks! I did find some of those too on Amazon. Not sure if they'll fit  with these older IDE drives. They look too big. But I'll do some more research.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

The drives tend to be a normal size. Really old drives might be higher, which would be a problem and perhaps a larger size, but those are really old. There are different sizes, such as 3.5" (I think), which is the normal hard drive, 2.5" (I think) which is a laptop drive.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

The drives tend to be a normal size.

Correct. Sorry about the confusion. I just realized I typed 2.5 in the search field and not 3.5 (which really measures 4 inches?) I just measured all of my IDE drives and they are 4 inches. Then a friend just called me and I explained what I was trying to do and he has a few different external IDE cases. But he is on holiday. So I'll just wait and save some money!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Yeah, sizes are not always what you think that they are. It might be the platter size. In thinking about it, the 5.25" are really old and the common newer size is smaller, although not as small as a laptop drive.

That is good that you can save some money!!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Your standard drives are 3.5 inches. A laptop drive is 2.5 inches. I haven't seen any other size in many years. I use a case for when I use the drive on a regular basis as I do now for backup. I use an adapter for really a one time use to get stuff off of it to repair it, format, or just see whats on it. They all work great.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Yeah, sizes are not always what you think that they are. It might be the platter size. In thinking about it, the 5.25" are really old and the common newer size is smaller, although not as small as a laptop drive.

That is good that you can save some money!!

Sorry for the late reply-when I mentioned "big" I was referring to appearance. Like these older IDE ones remind me of 8 track tapes. The new one I just bought from Crucial.com was a 2.5 which is too small for the intended tower. But I was looking at it's capacity (500GB) and not it's actual size. So I had to order a tray adapter from them that won't be here for a few days-it's always something!! Yes to saving money where we can!!

Advertisements

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Your standard drives are 3.5 inches. A laptop drive is 2.5 inches. I haven't seen any other size in many years. I use a case for when I use the drive on a regular basis as I do now for backup. I use an adapter for really a one time use to get stuff off of it to repair it, format, or just see whats on it. They all work great.

I would have liked to have had a 3.5 for bu drive. But all Crucial listed for my make was 2.5. That's what I wanted to do too. Theses old drives are relatively small (40GB)-and they're not full. I would just like to have all of whatever parts I want of each in one place (drive). I found some nice drive cases to store them in when finished from Yottamaster!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

What exactly were you trying to do? A hard drive in a laptop is 2.5 inches. Drives in towers are usually 3.5 inches.

You can put a 2.5 in a tower but, as you said, it needed an adapter. You can use a 3.5 inch in an enclosure and use USB to a laptop if you want, or you can use a 2.5 inch in an enclosure and a USB to the tower, or an adapter and slide it into the tower. The main thing is that a 2.5 will only fit in to a laptop.

So, I am confused. You mention that all Crucial listed was a 2.5 and you needed an adapter. Can I assume you are putting it in to a tower based on your comments?

What is the make and model of your computer? Is it a laptop or tower?

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

What exactly were you trying to do? A hard drive in a laptop is 2.5 inches. Drives in towers are usually 3.5 inches.

You can put a 2.5 in a tower but, as you said, it needed an adapter. You can use a 3.5 inch in an enclosure and use USB to a laptop if you want, or you can use a 2.5 inch in an enclosure and a USB to the tower, or an adapter and slide it into the tower. The main thing is that a 2.5 will only fit in to a laptop.

So, I am confused. You mention that all Crucial listed was a 2.5 and you needed an adapter. Can I assume you are putting it in to a tower based on your comments?

What is the make and model of your computer? Is it a laptop or tower?

Sorry for the confusion. Mentioning Crucial and bu drive kind of strayed from my original post and off topic. But it's all tied in (to me). Exactly what I'm trying to do is get certain things off of old drives in to my Windows 10 (Dell Inspiron 660 desktop). Then I want to bu all of the Dell drive on a bu drive that I bought from Crucial. I did their scan so I would get the exact RAM and drive. What I overlooked is they only offer 2.5 (laptop sized drives). Since they scanned my desktop PC that only has the 3.5 drive in it. I thought my options would be for other 3.5 drives that would fit. They never said your system will require an adapter for our product. So that meant spending twenty minutes on the phone with their tech support then I had to make TWO orders and pay TWO different shipping costs and wait-and that ticks me off to a whole new level. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

It sounds like you have things figured out at this point. I'm not sure why they only offered a 2.5 on a desktop PC though. That's odd.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

It sounds like you have things figured out at this point. I'm not sure why they only offered a 2.5 on a desktop PC though. That's odd.

Yeah that's why I like to post here. I get great to the point advice or options!! Yes it was very odd. I just need to pay better attention to things and not assume. Remember that old joke about assuming things? lol