Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seeking advice on transferring data from old IDE drives to Win 10

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

It sounds like you have things figured out at this point. I'm not sure why they only offered a 2.5 on a desktop PC though. That's odd.

AFAIK the Crucial scanner is only for SSD & DRAM upgrades.

Advertisements

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

It sounds like you have things figured out at this point. I'm not sure why they only offered a 2.5 on a desktop PC though. That's odd.

AFAIK the Crucial scanner is only for SSD & DRAM upgrades.

True true-I was expecting way to much from them for a free scan!!

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I received the external IDE case late Friday. Spent Saturday going through these old drives. There are only five. One annoying problem I ran in to was for every file I tried to move I was asked to provide Admin permission. So I had to go to the Security tab and check appropriate things to move one file-every time. I couldn't find a way to move an entire folder. I was hoping to move things en masse. This whole permission thing to me seems pointless. I'm the owner and the only one that uses current PC and the old ones these five drives came from. So it's taking longer than I expected-but it is getting done.

Edited by JEISEN, 10 February 2019 - 10:46 AM.