Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows update error encountered

- - - - -

Best Answer bytesize , 03 February 2019 - 09:55 AM

Hi guys & girls got an update that seemed to solve the problem, turned on my old windows 10 laptop and my desktop pc same error, looked into it further, and found out that there are proble... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

bytesize

bytesize

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Got a second hand laptop, that is new, keep getting the above error here is a screenshot.

Screenshot.png

Searched online and tried a couple of things-

Checked update service was running and made sure it was set to Automatic(delayed)

Ran windows update troubleshooter

Downloaded and installed the most recent Servicing Stack Update

Ran these in an elevated command prompt - DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

SFC /scannow

Still the same problem, any help would be much appreciated before reinstalling or restoring windows.

Thanks

Advertisements

bytesize

bytesize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi guys & girls

got an update that seemed to solve the problem, turned on my old windows 10 laptop and my desktop pc same error, looked into it further, and found out that there are problems with some ISPs DNS settings and windows can't update. Changed my network adapter properties to use google DNS servers and windows update is now working on all machines.

Hope I didn't waste anybodies time.

Thanks

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

bytesize:

Thank you for posting back with the solution.  Your "fix" may well help others.

I am glad that you got Windows Update back into action.  Unpatched computers are vulnerable computers!

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

sam smith

sam smith

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Thanks, bytesize.

It also solved my issue.

bytesize

bytesize

• Topic Starter