Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 2.0 to Firewire?

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I have 3 firewire ports on my pc.  I have some external hard drives that are USB 2.0.  Would it be hurt the hard drives if I used a USB to firewire adapter to connect them to my firewire ports?

Also, do I need a firewire male to a USB female adapter or a firewire male to a USB male adapter?

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

No, it wouldn't hurt to do what you suggest but why not use a USB port?

If you buy the adapter and your external hard drives have  conventional USB connectors then its the firewire male to USB female adapter you will need.

Regards

paws

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I have a  WD Elements 8Tb Hard Drive that USB 2.0.  I have it connected to a USB port but I was hoping that if I connected it to one of my firewire ports, it would run faster at firewire speed.  Would it?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Speed wise, there is not a lot in it.

USB 2 has a theoretical raw data rate higher than Firewire ( around 480mbps compared with 400 mbps) but in real life the sustained transfer rates are very similar.

I can link you to the actual figures with examples if you want...

Regards

paws

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

My Firewire external hard drives were much faster than my USB externals.  Here's a speed chart that I found at Wikipedia.  If my USB 2.0 external hdds won't run any faster if I connect them to my Firewire ports, I wouldn't buy the adapters.

Attached Thumbnails

• speeds.JPG