Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win 10 disconnects external drives at random

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

BerDov

BerDov

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Please help me understand what’s happening.

I recently bought a new machine - Dell with Win 10 Pro.

All data is stored on two external USB drives, which I will name here as N: and T:.

Each drive is backed nightly on two other external drives.

From day one, drive N: would disconnect (or would be disconnected?) from the system for no reason, at random times. It has never once happened while it was connected to the old machine, a Gateway with Vista.

When that happened, I would disconnect-reconnect the power supply to the drive and the computer would recognize it instantly. Today, however, “instantly” stretched into several minutes.

Yesterday, drive T: went into coma during a backup to a new drive, at about 65%. I killed the backup process, restarted the machine. The drive was not visible, I thought it died.  This morning it was plugged in, became visible, the backup resumed (!) but then stalled at 81%.  

Both drives are Seagate. N: is 4.5 years old, T is almost 3. I Know they will die one day, but so far suspect the OS.

Any ideas or explanation are greatly appreciated.

Boris

Advertisements