Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Powerdown Problem

• Please log in to reply

sw619

sw619

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Recently, I've noticed that when I would shut down my computer, it would go to the "Windows is Shutting Down..." screen (Running Windows XP) and would just freeze up. I'd hear it make a clicking noise that I usually hear when the computer completely powers down, but after that noise, one fan or another is still running, and the screen is frozen at the "Windows is Shutting Down..." message. I can't move my mouse or anything.

Could you tell me what might be wrong with my computer? Please tell me some of the causes of power down problems in a computer and how to resolve them. Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

wildchild22

wildchild22

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i believe this is probably caused because a process isn't shutting down as it should.

http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

on the above site, there should be a patch called
"Auto End Tasks to Enable a Proper Shutdown"

sw619

sw619

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I tried the tweak, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the way my computer powers down. It might be a hardware problem, so I'll try to resocket everything later on.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
A corrupt sound file can cause this. If you were using a 'shutdown sound', you might want to go into 'sounds' in control panel and select 'no sound' for 'exit windows', reboot and see what happens.....

wildchild22

wildchild22

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
yeah disabling the shutdown sound was going to be my next suggestion :tazz: