Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to Install Windows XP without the Original CD

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Since back in December, off and on my computer has acted up, but I always manage to eventually fix it.  This past week it pushed me to the brink of having to throw in the towel as my bag of tricks was just about empty.  Again, at the last minute I appear to have fixed it.

However, I would like to explore my options for the next time my computer gets seriously out of line.

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 Desktop.  It has Windows XP Professional SP3 in it.

I do not have the original Windows XP CD for THIS computer and from what I can see, there is no Recovery Partition available.  Now ... I do have a Windows XP Home Edition CD from a previous computer.  I have read here and there on the Net that supposedly one can legally reinstall Windows XP without the original CD ... by using another Windows XP CD as long as one does have the official Windows XP Product Key for the CURRENT computer.  I do have the official Windows XP Product Key for this computer. 

So is this option true and legal?  If so, would it still work considering that the Windows XP version installed right now is Professional and the CD that I have is for Home Edition?

If that option is not true, not legal or just plain won't work, would the option below work?

https://www.wikihow....-Without-the-CD

Advertisements