Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are Chinese spying on me?

• Please log in to reply

BerDov

BerDov

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

I have a small home network: 3 computers, a cell phone, and a Brother printer. They all communicate via a Zoom modem/router.

Yesterday, Avast [free antivirus] flashed a message, something to the effect that my computer wants to connect to a new network. As my mind was busy, I clicked on a button to allow Avast to inspect this network and did not take a screen shot.

As Avast was running Wi-Fi Inspector, I noticed that one of the devices was identified as “Hon Hai”. Before I could take a screen shot, the name changed.

Then I noticed my router was identified as “Shenzhen Gongin...”. By the end of the inspection, the name changed to Broadcom.

I don’t think I possess any value to the Chinese but could not think of a better topic title..

Any explanation is appreciated.

Edited by BerDov, 20 February 2019 - 04:13 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Hon Hai is Foxconn,

Foxconn manufactures electronic products for major American, Canadian, Chinese, Finnish and Japanese companies.

Shenzhen Gongjin Electronics is a global manufacturer of telecommunication and electronic products.

Looks all normal..

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Thank you, zep516!

Reminds me of a relatively old joke: In the beginning, God created Havens and the Earth. Everything else was made in China.

So in theory, and very possible in practice, they have the capability to build in a "spying component" to each modem and each computer.

Are there modems that are NOT made in China?

Thanks again!

Edited by BerDov, 23 February 2019 - 03:27 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Are there modems that are NOT made in China?

Every model that I've seen has a significant number of parts made in mainland China, although the same is true of probably all computer products too. At least some parts in all computers and cellular phones are made in China, exceptions to that rule are rare.

BerDov

BerDov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Thank you!  Now I can sleep well.

;-)