Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nuked a HDD, do I need to reformat?

• Please log in to reply

Mac29

Mac29

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Used DBAN to nuke a hard drive, using default autonuke. Is there a format left on the drive? From the factory?

I believe I need to partition, then format any space I wish to use.

Also, when I create partitions, on a hard drive, are they created as close to the outside tracks as possible or are partitions simply logical and data is physically spread all over?

Thank you,

Mac

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

The drive still has data on it, it is just overwritten, to wupe out previously written data.

Yes, you would need to partition the drive. While Windoze calls it formatting the partition, it really isn't, it is just creating the filesystem on the partition.

Typically the partitions start on the inner part of the drive and continue to the outer tracks.

The files that are written can vary, but at the start it would tend to be at the start of the partition, but that can depend on the operating system that you are using and how they decide to write the data.