Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is working, but I keep getting boot errors

• Please log in to reply

fjank

fjank

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Hope this is the right category, could not find any that matches my configuration. :)

This is a Dell laptop Precision M4700, which I have tried to setup dual booting with Linux.

Before:

HDD:

Two SSD harddrives configured with RAID 0, (probably Intel software raid)

Partitions:

One big NTFS partition

Windows 10

Bootloader

Standard windows 10

Now:

HDD is still in the same configuration.

Two Partitions, one NTFS and two linux partitions (ext4 and swap).

Windows 10 on NTFS, Kali Linux occupies the two other partitions.

Bootloader is Kali linux bootloader, which detects windows 10 perfectly.

How it was done:

Reduced the NTFS partitions size, so I got some unused space, installed linux, and let Linux take care of creating the new partitions. Bootloader was installed by using mdadm first (to let linux recognize my raid), the installing a standard Kali Linux grub loader.

Problem:

computer stops after Intel has loaded the raid configuration (is it the BIOS emitting?) with an error: "Invalid partition table!". But by pressing any key, computer continues as normal, loading the grub bootloader.

Windows 10 works like a charm.

Kali linux works like a charm, although fdisk also complains about the partitions.

I have searched everywhere for anyone with similar problems, but to no help. Most suggest to remove raid 0 / reformat drive / don't worry, but I do worry, I don't want my computer suddenly stop working on both OS'es.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Download the manufacturer's diagnostics and check the drives to make sure that they are working correctly.

Re-writing the partition table without changes might work. You said that fdisk reports an error, what is the error?

You could also read both of the who devices to make sure that there isn't any read errors.

FYI, RAID0 is RAID as it is redundant and failure on either disk will be a complete failure.