Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with working out how much to sell a computer uk

• Please log in to reply

kind48

kind48

• Pip
  • 6 posts

hey i came here to find out how much this computer is worth since it will help towards the costs etc . it was own by my mother and i dont know much about computers but a i did manage to get a list of parts with a bit of poking around on the system menus and help from a friend any help would be appreciated from the U.K by the way parts are and sorry if this is posted in the wrong place 

I5 8600K

GTX 1060 6 GB o box says windforce gigabyte 

750 HX750 corsair power supply platinum 

120 mm notua fans s12a pwn x 3 ? not sure if thats the exact name 

120 mm notua fan f12 pwn x 1 ?

seagate hdd 7200 1 tb x 2  sata 6 gb/s 

ssd samsung 500 gb 860 evo sata 6 gb/s 

gigabyte z370 aorus ultra gaming coffee Lake atx motherboard

coolermaster h411r heatsink 

2400 ram ddr4 corsair vengance lpx on side erm 8 gb x 2 other slots are empty

cooler master case with side window

if i missed any thing let me know and again any help is greatly appreciated 

Edited by kind48, 01 March 2019 - 09:30 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:  kind48,

hey i came here to find out how much this computer is worth since it will help towards the costs etc . it was own by my mother 

Looks remarkably like a young persons gaming computer to me  <_<

Levity apart, it is not possible to be able to give you a concrete answer as the computer is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it, the condition of the hardware has not been mentioned in your OP, there is no OS on the list so any buyer could be having to add a further £83+ to the price for 64-bit Windows 10 Home and last but not least the processor is the k version of the I5 8600 processor favoured by overclockers which may put people off somewhat, mentioning in your OP that the computer was owned by your mum looks a bit off tbh.

Best suggestion that I can come up with, price each part new, add up the total cost, divide the total cost in two and use that as a guide price, rule of thumb here in the UK is that anything not out of the box new is normally only worth 50% of list price.

NB: Moved your thread here as the Hardware Forum is for helping with computer repairs etc.

kind48

kind48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

thanks for your reply looks looked after no marks on case clean on the inside . dont know any thing about overclocking and it does have windows 10 on it she was just into technology stuff its to go towards covering funeral costs ill do as you said search the parts and half it put it on ebay or a local listing for offers or some thing 

kind48

kind48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

o just a question how do i go about removing the files off the system was told windows format doesnt completely remove them ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

thanks for your reply looks looked after no marks on case clean on the inside . dont know any thing about overclocking and it does have windows 10 on it she was just into technology stuff its to go towards covering funeral costs ill do as you said search the parts and half it put it on ebay or a local listing for offers or some thing 

The spec is good and having Windows 10 installed is a bonus, let us know what the total divided by two comes to and I will give you an honest answer as to whether or not I would let it go for that price if it were my computer.

There is no way of 100% erasing data from a storage device only maximising as best you can how hard it is to find any traces that could be left on the drive, we are talking blueprints for nuclear reactors here and wiping the drive with something like DBan (free version) will make sure that average Joe will not find anything on the drive.

There is no DVD drive on you parts list, how do you intend to reinstall Windows 10, do you have Windows 10 media on a USB thumbdrive.

Edit to add: I mentioned DBan for wiping the hard drive for the SSD see example here

kind48

kind48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

there was a usb stick 16 GB sandisc with windows 10 and software for it i think to put on after .i added the cost £1200 and half it and it came out at £610

think there was only important files on the hdd and that copy to the second hdd only thing on the ssd is windows 10 and games so think thats fine after reinstalling  

Edited by kind48, 02 March 2019 - 08:25 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

If you wipe both drives, when you reinstall Windows 10 and the drivers for the motherboard be sure to install both to the SSD and not the hard drive, be sure to use one of the USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard at the back of the case, installing Windows from USB on 3.0/3.1 ports is known to cause problems.

£600 is a good price but a bit too rich for me due to the older GTX 1060 GPU, I wouldnt start at less than £600 to begin with though, offers in region of etc.

kind48

kind48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

usb ports are red yellow black blue ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Black = USB 2.0