Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 lock screen slide show start time?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I am trying to set up my third Win 10 PC. I have matched the settings from the first two on the third one. On the first two the lock screen slide show starts after not logging in after about a minute. But on this new one the lock screen never changes until I push any button and get the log in window. I do have the Slideshow box selected. What could I have missed??

Advertisements

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Hey Jenisen,

Try going into your lock screen settings and then turn off  Get fun facts, tricks and more on your lock screen. 

Let me know how that goes for you.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hey Jenisen,

Try going into your lock screen settings and then turn off  Get fun facts, tricks and more on your lock screen. 

Let me know how that goes for you.

Hey KP Sorry for the late reply.

I've always had that feature turned off on all of my PC's.

Then I wondered if it was a version problem.

The version without the slideshow is 10 Pro 1803

One that is working is 10 Home 1803

The other one that works is 10 Pro 1809

I never use Cortana.

If I activate the Lock screen manually (W+L) it works no problem. It is just not starting automatically as the other two do????

A friend said I should try switching to a solid picture for lock screen then change back to slide show option. But that didn't work either.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I have had that problem too, I take it you have 1809?

All I have been doing is I changed the automatic time ti 2 mins and then reboot.  1809 seems to be a clown with this and so far everything that I have tried other (than what I said before) nothings worked.  So if someone else knows a fix that would be awesome.  But 1903 is coming out next month and I am looking forward to it.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I have had that problem too, I take it you have 1809?

All I have been doing is I changed the automatic time ti 2 mins and then reboot.  1809 seems to be a clown with this and so far everything that I have tried other (than what I said before) nothings worked.  So if someone else knows a fix that would be awesome.  But 1903 is coming out next month and I am looking forward to it.

No-the one giving me the problem is an 1803. It would seem I'm more than a few behind. Which might be the whole problem!!

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Not too far behind 1809 is after 1803 and 1903 is not out yet, well not here in NZ anyway.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Not too far behind 1809 is after 1803 and 1903 is not out yet, well not here in NZ anyway.

It was odd because I have auto updates enabled. I opened and saw the update and had to start it myself. For some reason I had to do it a few times. Then it took a while. Now I've got 1809 and the same problem. No matter what I've changed the lock screen just sits there and the slideshow never starts unless I press W+L.

Very sad times for NZ :heart:

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Ok try this, open your start menu and type CMD

Then RIGHT click on Command Prompt

Select run as admin

Type:  sfc /scannow

Press enter and let me know how it goes for you.

Yes it in, but there is more to come around the world including here again.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Ok try this, open your start menu and type CMD

Then RIGHT click on Command Prompt

Select run as admin

Type:  sfc /scannow

Press enter and let me know how it goes for you.

Yes it in, but there is more to come around the world including here again.

Thanks! This was the message when completed: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully replaced them.

Then it gave instruction on where to find scan log.

Unfortunately my original problem is still present.

So I tried this:

I changed Lock screen to Windows spotlight. Something I never used before. It stayed on the same picture and never changed. After about a minute the screen turned off.

I know this is a very small problem and I shouldn't let it bother me-but it does!!

Yes I don't see an end to this any time soon. Here in the States it's a sad rotation of school, policeman, public gathering or job related that are targeted.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Ok hold up do this one in cmd with admin rights too:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Advertisements

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Ok hold up do this one in cmd with admin rights too:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

I just did as you instructed-it reads: No component store corruption detected. The operation completed successfully. But Lock screen still only showing single image.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I have to clarify on something again, but is this the screen saver for the login screen or for after you login?

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

My problem with this PC is before you get to the log in screen. With my first two Win 10's-when you power them on you get the screen of the background image of your choice that shows time and date. On these two if you don't press enter to get the log in screen in about 10 to 15 seconds the lock screen slide show starts while still showing date and time until you press enter to log in. When I power up my third Win 10 I get the date and time and background image of my choosing. But a slide show never starts. It just sits there showing date and time and the same image until I press enter to log in. If I press enter to log in but don't enter my password it goes back to the lock screen image and the log in box disappears. I have the settings exactly the same on all three. But this one behaves differently. Once I'm logged in I can W+L and lock it and then the slide show plays no problem. It's just not starting at power up like the others do.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Have all of them been updated with the latest windows 10?  (1809)

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Oh yes-all are now using 1809.