Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Imaging HD with Macrium Reflect

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

I finally downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect Free 7.2.4063.

I attached an image of what Macrium Reflect is showing regarding my system.

Is everything set to go?  Do I just now click on "Image this disk?"  I don't have to specify a file name and / or folder somewhere on my FreeAgent Drive E: external drive?

What would the difference be in using "Clone this disk?"

I also downloaded the pe10_1709x86 Zip File.  I take it that is for creating a Rescue Disk?  How do I do that?

Advertisements

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Okay, I guess I didn't attach the image properly in my original comment.  Hopefully it attaches this time around.

Attached Thumbnails

• Chim Comp Macrium Status.jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

I finally downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect Free 7.2.4063.

I attached an image of what Macrium Reflect is showing regarding my system.

Is everything set to go?  Do I just now click on "Image this disk?"  I don't have to specify a file name and / or folder somewhere on my FreeAgent Drive E: external drive?

Yes. After clicking on "Image this disk" it will ask for a folder where to create the backup, the file names used are automatically chosen by the tool (recommended option).

What would the difference be in using "Clone this disk?"

Clone Disk is normally used when you are replacing a HDD with another one in case of disk failure or upgrade to a bigger HDD/SDD, etc. The important part is that everything that is on the destination disk is overwritten!

I also downloaded the pe10_1709x86 Zip File.  I take it that is for creating a Rescue Disk?  How do I do that?

Check the following article: https://knowledgebas...ng rescue media

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Well, SleepyDude ... I encountered more prompts that I did not expect.  I winged it and ultimately the indication at the end was that an image of my HD was created successfully.  However, when I then proceeded to do a restart, the boot up just hung for a long time.  Eventually it completed, but not without throwing out some error and a Windows error.

I'm not 100% sure, but I THINK it's possible that that 1st error might have been from my Panda Dome anti-virus.  Is a drive image supposed to be able to be created while the anti-virus is ACTIVE / ENABLED?  Maybe my Panda Dome anti-virus temporarily got a furball stuck in its throat because of the process of the drive image being created?  Anyway, after those 2 errors I powered down and left the computer completely disconnected from power for around 6 minutes.  Everything is back to working fine now. :popcorn:

THEN there was the attempt to create the Rescue Media Disk.  Right off the bat things looked differently than on the procedure in the link you provided.  See the 1st image that I attached.  I attempted to follow along anyway, but eventually things just hung at the Zip File loading as per the 2nd image.  I finally threw in the white towel.

Is there some other non-Macrium Reflect Rescue Media Disk that you can recommend that I can just download and not be having to BUILD?

Attached Thumbnails

• Rescue Media Builder.jpg
  • Loading Zip File.jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

What is the Windows version you have (Windows 7, Windows 10, etc.) ?

Running the backup inside Windows could have troubles sometimes, stopping the Antivirus protection and closing all programs is recommended for a faster and safer operation...

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

I have the much-maligned  :whistling:  Windows XP Pro SP3. :ph34r:

I barely started using Panda Dome Free 18.07.00 anti-virus like last week.

After doing some searching, I found out that actually, I could create a bootable USB "Rescue Kit" with my Panda Dome.  I managed to accomplish that successfully. 

NOW ... here is what I don't know.  From what I see as per 2 of the files that were downloaded, that Panda Dome USB Rescue Kit appears to be in the Linux environment.

QUESTION #1:  If that Panda Dome USB Rescue Kit IS in the Linux environment, does that mean I would NOT be able to bring up Macrium Reflect Free from there?

QUESTION #2:  Say I encountered a situation whereby my computer wouldn't boot up properly ... but, WOULD boot up fine into Safe Mode.  Can Macrium Reflect Free be brought up fine and work OK from Safe Mode?  You know ... OK enough so as to be able to execute a Macrium Reflect restore operation from an HD image?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

THEN there was the attempt to create the Rescue Media Disk.  Right off the bat things looked differently than on the procedure in the link you provided.  See the 1st image that I attached.  I attempted to follow along anyway, but eventually things just hung at the Zip File loading as per the 2nd image.  I finally threw in the white towel.

Is there some other non-Macrium Reflect Rescue Media Disk that you can recommend that I can just download and not be having to BUILD?

Creating the Rescue Media on the same computer that will be used to create/restore the backups is recommended because the Wizard will make sure that the Rescue Disk will have all the specific drivers needed to work on the hardware of the computer that is running. You can create the rescue disk using another computer with a different Windows versions but there is a change that it will not work properly on a different computer...

I have the much-maligned  :whistling:  Windows XP Pro SP3. :ph34r:

Every day more and more companies drop support for Windows XP... its a complicated task continuing to use this Operating System for simple tasks like browsing the internet because of outdated browsers, new security standards for certificates no longer supported by XP, etc., etc.

I understand the need of using XP if you have old or specific hardware to do a certain job that can't be replaced or cost lots of $$$ to replace. In a scenario like that makes sense to keep the machine working but disconnected from the Internet, but not for a day to day use...

The tools needed to build the Macrium Rescue are not included on Windows XP (only on Windows 7 and higher), I don't know if the v7 will work properly on Windows XP to create the Rescue Disk, its possible to install the Microsoft tools on XP, its a very big download and this could be  the reason for the long time to download...

I barely started using Panda Dome Free 18.07.00 anti-virus like last week.

After doing some searching, I found out that actually, I could create a bootable USB "Rescue Kit" with my Panda Dome.  I managed to accomplish that successfully. 

NOW ... here is what I don't know.  From what I see as per 2 of the files that were downloaded, that Panda Dome USB Rescue Kit appears to be in the Linux environment.
QUESTION #1:  If that Panda Dome USB Rescue Kit IS in the Linux environment, does that mean I would NOT be able to bring up Macrium Reflect Free from there?

No Linux is a completely different Operating System and you can't run Windows software on Linux without emulation, etc. (complicated stuff)

QUESTION #2:  Say I encountered a situation whereby my computer wouldn't boot up properly ... but, WOULD boot up fine into Safe Mode.  Can Macrium Reflect Free be brought up fine and work OK from Safe Mode?  You know ... OK enough so as to be able to execute a Macrium Reflect restore operation from an HD image?

Most likely the software will not work in Safe Mode because Windows will only load a limited set of drivers and not the specific ones installed by Macrium Reflect.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

So it looks like it's time to fold my cards and walk away from the idea of making a Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk.  Oh well.

After reading up some more, it appears that aside of the Panda Dome USB Rescue Kit being in the Linux environment, really the only option available there is to run the Panda Cloud Cleaner.  I don't believe there is the option to run any OTHER programs from there.

I guess I'll just do some more DuckDuckGo-ing to see what other Rescue Disk options there are out there that will fit my needs and my computer's Win XP specifications.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my inquiries, SleepyDude.  Carry on.   :wave:

Edited by Chimiti, 10 March 2019 - 02:18 PM.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

It hadn't dawned on me until just now --- Why don't I just TRY Macrium Reflect in Safe Mode?  At worst it'll toss me a message telling me that it cannot work in Safe Mode.  So I did just that.  Lo & behold, Macrium Reflect DID come up in Safe Mode ... and on Windows XP at that!!!  And as seemingly evidenced by the attached image, it appears ready for action.  With no input from me, it on its own found the HD image file in my external E:Drive and appears ready to "Restore Image" upon my click.  I'm guessing that's all it would take to get the wheels moving ... a click of that "Restore Image" link.

So maybe I won't be completely SOL as long as at least my computer can boot up into Safe Mode.

Attached Thumbnails

• Macrium Reflect Boot in Safe Mode.jpg

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

I don't believe you will be able to restore the image to the hard drive while still in windows even though it is limited windows. The image is everything on the hard drive. It restores it to the condition of when you took the image. The rescue media is a mini windows environment that runs so you can locate, find, and re-load the image.

According to the information found in the users guide it is supposed to work on XP. http://updates.macri...pdf?src=sidebar

You can also try an older version of Macrium Reflect found at OldVersion.com    www.oldversion.com/windows/macrium-reflect/

Another thought is to purchase another hard drive and create a clone of your working hard drive. Then all you have to do is swap the drives.

You didn't indicate if this is a laptop or desktop so depending on which one there would be steps that are particular to it.

Advertisements

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

O --- Kay.  Then it looks like I'm back to being SOL.

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 desktop, 123Runner.

I don't know.  Every time I attempt to build the Rescue Media, I keep getting that message that you see in my Comment #4 above about browsing to  locate an already downloaded zip file.  I tell it where the already downloaded zip file pe10_1709x86 is, but I just keep getting prompted again with the same message.

If I were to try using one of those older versions of Macrium Reflect, would it require a different version / download of PE Windows than version 7?

Isn't there some other Windows-based Rescue Media that's more likely to be easier and more cooperative to build than Macrium Reflect's?

Edited by Chimiti, 15 March 2019 - 06:33 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

So I opened up my Macrium Reflect and did some looking around. When you boot up Reflect there is a button in the lower right for "change PE version".

Clicking on that allows you to change the PE version to something else. I would try PE 4 or PE 3.

If you download an earlier version of macrium Reflect it would not be version 7. I'm thinking that an earlier version might be doing the same thing as changing the PE version in Macrium Reflect version 7.

Macrium Reflect.JPG

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

O --- Kay.  Then it looks like I'm back to being SOL.

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 desktop, 123Runner.

I don't know.  Every time I attempt to build the Rescue Media, I keep getting that message that you see in my Comment #4 above about browsing to  locate an already downloaded zip file.  I tell it where the already downloaded zip file pe10_1709x86 is, but I just keep getting prompted again with the same message.

If I were to try using one of those older versions of Macrium Reflect, would it require a different version / download of PE Windows than version 7?

Isn't there some other Windows-based Rescue Media that's more likely to be easier and more cooperative to build than Macrium Reflect's?

For a machine that is running Windows XP your best option on the Macrium Reflect rescue is Windows PE 3.1, the PE component that is needed/downloaded is not pe10_1709x86 for sure.

The Windows PE used to create this Rescue Disks is prepared/configured specifically to run certain software they will not work to run any other software because this isn't a normal Windows Installation where you can install/run any software... The available software must be included at build time.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

And what is actually happening is that the computer is booting in to a small version of the Macrium Reflect software. That software is the boot files that are put on the CD when the rescue CD is made.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

I THINK I have finally come across the solution.

Okay, 123Runner, I tried your idea of trying out an older version of Macrium Reflect.  I downloaded and installed the latest version in that batch in that link, which was 5.1.5603.  THEN when I set out to create the Rescue Media, I pretty much easily had my arm twisted into trying the LINUX version instead of the PE Windows version because I was informed that the PE Windows was gonna be a 1 Gig download!!!  I have Dial Up, so that was definitely a No Go.  The info in the window there informed me that the Linux version would also be able to restore all Windows versions.  And that the Linux version was a compact and efficient version. 

I went full steam ahead and quickly created my Linux Rescue Media on a DVD.  I tested it as far a booting and it worked. 

Tomorrow I'll probably redo this because at the beginning of the process of creating the Rescue Media, it is strongly recommended that one update to some Macrium Reflect version 6 because apparently the version that I downloaded can cause a BSOD.

Thanks for y'all's input and help ... 123Runner and SleepyDude.  :spoton:   :wave: