Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mystery re using two different passwords on a WiFi network router

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Can someone see what is going on here? I am mystified.

I have a desktop (W10) and an iPhone and an iPad. I recently had to change my WiFi router.

My desktop and iPad worked fine on the new WiFi network after i inserted the new router password. But the iPhone acted eratically --repeatedly requiring me to provide the password, whereupon it would say "cant connect to WiFi."

Apple support suggested I look at the label on the router. When I did I found that the password shown was not the one the Verizon tech gave me (and that I used successfully with the desk top and iPad). When I entered the labelled password (different from the passwords I had entered into the desktop and iPad), the iPhone worked fine.

Right now the desktop and iPad "think" the router pw is one thing and the iPhone with a routerthinks the router's pw is something else. The desktop and the two Apple devices all work.

Whatever can explain this odd behaviour? Thanks. .... batpark

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

The wireless network names that both devices detect are the same?

Recent Wifi routers work on two different Wireless bands 2.4GHz and 5GHz, the two are independents with different SSID and security configurations.

Older devices only work on the 2.4GHz band, newer ones can connect to both.

Nona96

Nona96

• Pip
  • 2 posts

just reboot you router.

also discount it from all device and reconnect.

Regards

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

The password on the bottom of the router is to get into the router's admin settings.

Once you are in there, you can now setup whatever passwords you want for users to use to access your WiFi network(s).