Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can someone help me buy a new computer? RESOLVED.

Best Answer Denisejm , 18 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

I'm writing this post on my new computer!  It's working great.  I'm so used to my old computer crashing, that I'm sitting here still being struck with terror every time something takes mo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Build as in reply #62 but without Windows.

Intel&nbspValue&nbspSeries&nbspConfigurator : Intel Core i3 8100 3.6Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core | Stock Intel LGA1151 Heatsink and Fan | ASUS TUF Z390 Plus Gaming Wifi (Intel Z390, HDMI, 2xPCI-E, 2xM.2, 6xSATA, 4xDDR4, Wifi) | 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2666Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty (Major Brand) | 250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO Series MZ-V7E250BW PCIe M.2 | Onboard Intel 630 Video | Fractal Design Define R6 Black (1 5.25, 8 3.5/2.5) 3 Fans, Audio/USB 3.0 | 550watt Corsair CX550 80 PLUS CERTIFIED | Onboard 1Gbit LAN included | Onboard HD 7.1 Sound included | Wires and Cables ran behind case and tied up for maximum airflow | 3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty | Standard processing time: Ready to ship within 5 to 7 Business Days  del1.gif

$824.00

Saves $109 

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I'm going to go with the first pc with some upgrades.  I'm just waiting for input from someone.  I should get a response from him within a few hours.

A couple of things I wanted to go over with you, too. I don't want UEFI BIOS.  I want Legacy.  Also, I don't know if the OS hdd would be initialized prior to shipment but because I'm going with Legacy BIOS, I need the hdd to be initialized as MBR instead of GPT.

As soon as I hear back from my friend and you tell me Legacy BIOS and MBR are ok, I'll place the order.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You will need to contact eCollege (confirm I am correct) instruct them to format the boot drive MBR.   This would prevent installing w10 to UEFI. > Not something I have done, just read this, > https://docs.microso...egacy-bios-mode

Mind telling us us why you don't want the UEFI Boot Mode.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I will be using my Win10 disk.  I bought a key number because it's an OEM version, so I won't need them to install Windows for me.  But I'll ask them to initialize the hdd as MBR if they're going to initialize it even though they won't be installing Windows.

There's nothing wrong with UEFI BIOS.  It has advantages but it t also has disadvantages...

The biggest problem is that the Windows installation ends up being 3 Win10 partitions with another small hidden one, making 4, which no big deal if everything is working, but if some type of Windows repair is needed, things will get complicated and I'm very bad with pc complications.

Looking into UEFI, I found that one of the partitions that would be created would be "EFI", which would be the actual Boot File location, not Windows as before.  The "Boot Device" won't be Windows 10 or the partition it's on.  The Boot Device would be "WindowsBootManager" which is on the "EFI" partition.

Because of this type of stuff, the UEFI setup would be way too big of a pain/complicated and would be difficult for me to deal with so I want to avoid it.  I have a hard enough time with Legacy BIOS.

Do you know if the machine is tested prior to it being shipped?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the reply.   Going out this minute, have an appointment, back in 3 hours. 

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Also, I decided to get the 16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz RAM.  Several reviewers at Amazon said that in order to get the 3200 speed, the BIOS needs to be configured at XMB TO 3200.  Can that be done for me prior to it being shipped, keeping in mind that I want Legacy BIOS?

Edited by Denisejm, 08 April 2019 - 07:38 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, computers are run through a basic test before shipping.

I have emailed eCollege Tech Support with your questions.   Don't know how long before a reply.   Please don't order until all is clarified and please post your final build configuration. 

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thanks for looking into these matters for me . . .  eagerly awaiting a reply.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome.   Thought you would be well asleep by now.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Nah, I go to bed anywhere between 12:30 to 2:00 EST.  The battery on my little HP Tablet only lasts about 1\2 hour and it takes about 2 hours to get 1\4 charge so I turn it off often to charge it.  That's why I'm off-line a lot.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good morning.

To eCollege

Before shipping.
1.   Is the Boot drive initialized?
2.   Can it be set to MBR partition table as he only wants to Boot to Legacy Mode?
3.   Can the memory be set to the XMP profile?

The reply.
Hi, on the boot drive there is nothing to initialize.  That will be done during the Windows 10 install.  To in stall in MBR mode press F8 on start to get to the boot menu and select the non UEFI boot option to load in Legacy mode.  On the memory we will test it out using the XMP profile.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I placed the order for my new computer late last night.  I added/upgraded a few of the parts and it was still reasonably priced.  I'm happy with the outcome and can't wait until it arrives.

Intel&nbspCoffee&nbspLake&nbspConfigurator : Intel Core i3 8100 3.6Ghz 6MB Cache Quad-Core | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan/Heatsink | ASUS TUF Z390 Pro Gaming (Intel Z390, HDMI, 3xPCI-E, 2xM.2, 6xSATA, 4xDDR4) | 16GB (8GBx2) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz Memory Lifetime Warranty | 500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series MZ-75E500B/AM SATA3 SSD | 24X LG SATA Dual Layer DVD /-RW/CDRW | Onboard Intel 630 Video | Fractal Design Define R6 Black (2 5.25, 2 3.5) 3 Fans, Audio/USB 3.0 | 650watt Corsair CX650 80 PLUS CERTIFIED | Onboard 1Gbit LAN included | Onboard HD 7.1 Sound included | Wires and Cables ran behind case and tied up for maximum airflow | 3 Year Parts and Labor Warranty | Standard processing time: Ready to ship within 5 to 7 Business Days

Thanks for your help.  I appreciate it very much.

Edited by Denisejm, 10 April 2019 - 04:46 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good news, build looks great.

If not already done, suggest you dowload the MB manhual to get familerized with it. > https://www.asus.com...elpDesk_Manual/

While you wait, do you want to have another go at the old computer?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I have 4 sticks of RAM installed and only my os hdd connected.  When I turn it on, the motherboard lights light up, no splash screen and it shuts off, starts again, lights, shuts off.  It does only this until I turn the power off.  I don't want to put any money into it. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Always with the PSU off when doing things.

Reseat the video card. make sure the external DVD is disconnected.

Test and look to see if any of the indicator lights are lit on the MB.

If it crashes, restart and enter the BIOS,   Does it keep running or crash?