Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can someone help me buy a new computer?

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

About 6 months ago, I spent about $800 updating my computer with new RAM, video card, a pci and pciex cards, Windows 10, and new hard drives.  I've swapped out the data cables and daisy chains but it still constantly freezes and crashes.  It's about 9-10 years old and I think it's had it.  So I want to buy a new pc but I don't want to buy a lemon so I was wondering if people here can help me choose one that has a good reputation for durability.

Right now, my computer has 12 internal hard drives and 7 externals.  Each is either 1Tb or 2Tb.  I store video files on them.  What I'm looking for is a computer that has the capacity to hold between 12Tb-16Tb (3 or 4 hdds) inside the computer cabinet.  I don't do gaming.  I copy my videos onto external hard drives and connect them to a Micca and watch them on my tv.  The only other thing I do with my pc is go on-line to check my email and Google things, etc.  I understand that today's computers can be connected to a tv, so that would be a great feature for me too.  But, basically, I just want enough internal hdd space to store my video files.

Since I just spent $800 updating my existing computer, money is scarce, so cheaper is better but I don't want refurbished, just a new one.  I bought my own Windows 10 Home disk during my updating so Windows doesn't have to be installed, I can do that myself, if that would make a pc cheaper.

My hdds are now in JBOD configuration and I don't want to set up a RAID array with the new one.

Can someone give me some recommendations?

Edited by Denisejm, 18 March 2019 - 11:05 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,142 posts

Gday Denisejm .

No matter what you buy, there is always the chance of getting a lemon, but if you stay with the major manufacturers of pre built systems you should be OK, they do build to a standard, (adequate for it's use).   like CyberpowerAlienware, Dell.   You would need to pick a system, then customize it to remove parts not required, except the case, or add things you need.   I estimated it would still cost $1,200+ 

You sound as though you would be OK building your own using some of your existing parts.   You would get exactly what is required and work out cheaper.   If you would like some suggestions, lets see exactly what your system is.

What is the make/model of your case and PSU??

Then please follow the below.   Instructions thanks to Phillpowr2.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Right now, I have 2 twin sets of RAM.  One set (two sticks) is removed.  My computer also has 12 internal hdds but I have only my OS hdd connected.  This is because my computer has started to constantly freeze/crash if I connect more than this, so Speccy isn't going to give you the entire picture.  I had nightmare issues building my present pc 9 years ago and nightmare issues building the one before it so I'm not sure if I want to rebuild my computer.  I was hoping that a pre-built would contain all the features that I need to store video files.  I'm willing to buy additional hard drives but I need a computer that has the bays for them, a motherboard that has the ports for them, a PSU that can handle several 6-8Tb hdds, a CPU that won't get "confused", and enough RAM (I can buy extra) to run it all.  I didn't think that, in 2019, it would be difficult to find a computer such as this.  Maybe there just isn't a call for such a computer so manufacturers don't make them. 

http://speccy.pirifo...YTnmSRdVepeEjpu

I hope I did the Speccy report right.