Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can someone help me buy a new computer? RESOLVED.

Best Answer Denisejm , 18 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

I'm writing this post on my new computer!  It's working great.  I'm so used to my old computer crashing, that I'm sitting here still being struck with terror every time something takes mo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for that.   A little clarity needed.   Your storage is not set up as JBOD.   Look at my post 14, it is just a standard disk installation, exactly like yours with all disks having their own drive letter and not pooled, *interconnected)

If they were configured as jbod, 2 or more drives, after the C drive, would show with one drive letter.

In windows 8. 8.1 and 10 it's called storage space. explanation, > https://www.howtogee...combine-drives/

It really is meant for use if you have a heap of smaller drives and want to combine them into one large drive and I don't think worth using with the size and number of the drives you have.

Now that you have upgraded your adapter driver and attached all your drives, are you still getting slow downs and freezing?

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

When I built this pc, I was told that since I didn't want to set up a RAID array, my system setup would be called JBOD.  I started this setup when I installed Windows XP x64 in 2005.  I'm not sure if Windows XP x64 had Storage Space but, even if it did, it's not what I was told.  But the name doesn't matter, I got what I wanted and I now know that my computer is set up with Storage Space and not as JBOD.  I wonder how many other people know this.

I have 11 hard drives attached, one more to go.  I'm going to do that later this afternoon. I'm taking it slow so that if a hard drive failing/partially causing my problem, I would know which one it was.  I have 5 hard drives attached to the adapter card now and my computer hasn't frozen or crashed since I installed those drivers.  Out of habit, I keep expecting it to, though.

Did Speccy give you any information about anything not right with my computer?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

When you edit your posts, please don't remove information asked for as I may need to reference itlater, i.e. you removed disk managment shots. 

"Did Speccy give you any information about anything not right with my computer?"

Windows update not configured with 2 failed and 1 in progress, this should be corrected.

Memory usage is very high at 44%, we need to look at that

Some of your drives show low free space which may slow down performance.  

We will look at resources used and see if some optimisation are feasible.

Put you in charge of what windows update does.

Go to >Settings  > Network & Internet  > Wi-Fi  > select the Wi-Fi network you’re connected to OR select the Ethernet you’re connected to.

Look for the Metered Connection and turn it on, > click Save or OK, > close.

Open Windows Update. on the left, > click Change Setting, in the window that opens, . select Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and  install them, > tick the box Give me optional updates the same way.

> Click OK. Windows should immediately check for update, choose what you want to install.

I  never instal any drivers from Windows Update. 

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

When you edit your posts, please don't remove information asked for as I may need to reference itlater, i.e. you removed disk managment shots.

I don't like my computer's information to stay on line for too long.

Windows update not configured with 2 failed and 1 in progress, this should be corrected.

My computer started to freeze and crash when Windows was downloading/installing those updates.  I didn't know if those updates were causing the problems that I was having so I didn't try to get them again. When I checked Windows Updates, it says that I'm up to date.

Some of your drives show low free space which may slow down performance.

I have one new 2TB hard drive that wasn't connected when I posted Disk Management.  I have it connected now.  I also just bought a 4Tb hard drive (not yet connected) which I'm going to use to replace a 1Tb hard drive that's presently installed.  I will have plenty of room to reduce the number of files on those hard drives that have low free space.

We will look at resources used and see if some optimisation are feasible.

My computer is pretty old, built in 2009.  I'm not sure how much optimization is feasible with such an old unit.  I have very few programs installed.  Also, I just spent about $950 upgrading RAM, adapter card, hard drives + pc repairman.  I've really passed my limit in regards to $$$. 

Open Windows Update. on the left, > click Change Setting

Windows Update doesn't have the option "Change Settings."  I looked through all the Advanced options, too, and it wasn't there.

EDIT:  I tried to update Windows.  When it was downloading/installing updates, my computer froze.  It hasn't frozen since Saturday.  I think it was the update that my computer "doesn't like."

Attached Thumbnails

• installled programs.JPG
  • windows update.JPG

Edited by Denisejm, 27 March 2019 - 03:01 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the info.

When I said, "see if some optimisation are feasible." I meant tweaking your system, not buying more gear.

Even though windows update shows, up to date, but still freezes if you try to run it,

Download and run the troubleshooter. >  https://support.micr...s-update-errors

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thanks for the link.  I ran the troubleshooter and attached a screenshot of the results.  I stopped MS driver updates so that it doesn't try to update my drivers again.  I'm going to do a System Restore.  The problem is, the only Restore Point is 3/20/19, before I installed the new drivers for my adapter card so I'll have to install them again and hopefully that may fix the problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• troubleshooter.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I think that even doing a system restore will not fix the problem.

1, Clicking the, view more details, at the bottom of the troubleshooter screen, may give more information.

2,  from this link, > https://windows101tr...driver-updates/ IMPOTANT, do not use the reg hack, only use the first solution.

3, From this link, https://www.zerodoll...s-update-cache/ scroll down to "How to Clear Windows Update Cache in Windows 10" and follow the instructions.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thanks for those instructions.  When I deleted my update cache, there were over 19,000 items in it.

I never did the system restore but I did disconnect all hdds except OS hdd and one stick of RAM again.  My computer is still freezing/crashing, which it didn't do the last time I disconnected all hdds except OS hdd and removed all RAM except one stick.  I just ran MemTest on that stick 200% and there were 0 errors.  I'm going to remove that stick and then seat the other 3, one at a time, and run MemTest on them.  I should basically be able to rule out a RAM problem if they all pass.

Something new that my computer is doing has me confused.  There are times that my monitor goes black but my computer is still running.  I have to reboot.  I just bought my video card in Sept 2018.  It's a MSI Gaming GeForce GT 710 2GB GDRR3 64-bit HDCP Support DirectX 12 OpenGL 4.5 Single Fan Low Profile Graphics Card (GT 710 2GD3 LP).  Is there a possibility that it's failing/compatibility issues and causing my problems?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry for the delay, had computer issues of my own to sort out.

Did you set windows update to be on a metered connection?

If yes, did you then set updates to, Notify but do not download?

Did all your RAM passf?

if your computer is still freezing, when/ browsing, just sat idle, copying files, other?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I set metered connection.

Set updates to notify but not download

Ran HideShow to hide the 1809 update.

All 4 sticks of Ram passed the test 800% no errors

PC still freezing/crashing, hard to boot up.

I think my video card in failing.  Often, my screen goes black, it says something like "No video available" and but my computer is still running.  I connected an old monitor and it does the same thing so I don't think it's my monitor.  When it boots up, I get 1 long beep and 3 short beeps and my mobo manual says its either a video card or monitor that's causing the problem.  Since it's not the monitor, it must be my video card that's the problem.

Edited by Denisejm, 31 March 2019 - 09:58 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the info.

Freezing could also be due to a bad/corrupt driver or a flady PSU.

Please make sure to only have your OS drive connected.

We can look in Event viewer, but first let's clear the logs, making it easier for you later.

Open  a cmd as  admin , > press win key+x > in the menu that opens, > click Command Prompt (Admin). > UAC opens >  click yes.

When cmd opens, copy and paste this command, > for /F "tokens=*" %1 in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO wevtutil.exe cl "%1"  > then press enter, > when finished > close cmd.

The next time your computer freezes/stops, restart, then,

Press win key+x > click Event Viewer..> at the top of the left window >  click Event Viewer (Local) 

Please take a screenshot, include in your reply. 

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I ran the command you gave me.

Earlier this morning, I unseated then reseated my video card.  Since I did that, my computer only crashed once where it must've crashed 30-40 times yesterday.  I bought the card in September 2018.  I got the manufacturer's telephone number from Square Trade (I bought Square Trade for it when I bought it), so I'm going to contact the manufacturer tomorrow to see what the warranty is.  It's not listed on the website where I bought it.

Win key + x doesn't do anything.  I have to type cmd in the search box.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

My computer just froze, the first time in about 10 hours.  I've attached some screenshots of Event Viewer.

Attached Thumbnails

• event view local.JPG
  • event view local 2.JPG
  • event view local 3.JPG
  • event view local 4.JPG
  • event view local 5.JPG
  • event view local 6.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your shots show you have errors, but not an actual error report.

Please clear the event viewer logs first, otherwise it gets too complicated.

after a freeze, open event viewer, . right click on critical, > click show all instances of this event.

a list will be displayed,

Please take and upload a screenshot.

If there are no critical error, perform the same steps on error.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

The above screenshots were taken after I cleared Event Viewer with the command you gave me.  Shortly after, my computer crashed and I took the screenshots of Event Viewer.  

I right-clicked on the critical item, chose "show all events" attached.

When I chose "select as text," this is what it says:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          3/31/2019 9:23:27 PM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (70368744177664),(2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      DESKTOP-00TF6KG
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>6</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-04-01T01:23:27.939046400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>2236</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-00TF6KG</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
    <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Attached Thumbnails

• critical event view local.JPG

Edited by Denisejm, 31 March 2019 - 08:49 PM.