Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can someone help me buy a new computer? RESOLVED.

Best Answer Denisejm , 18 April 2019 - 04:08 PM

I'm writing this post on my new computer!  It's working great.  I'm so used to my old computer crashing, that I'm sitting here still being struck with terror every time something takes mo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I don't have an external DVD drive, only an internal one and it's disconnected. 

I unseated and re-seated the video card, turned the psu on, pressed the On button and, besides the mobo's "power on" lights, a green and yellow led turns on but it's impossible for me to determine what they're indicating, it's too hard for me to see the annotations for what they are for.

The mobo turns on, the lights light up, and it turns off, no splash screen.

Edited by Denisejm, 11 April 2019 - 08:50 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I look for the lights meaning, in the meantime.\

Remove the video car.

Remove the  sticks of RAM.

start up and enter BIOS, does it crash or keep going?

Nack in half an hour, if your still up.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

If I remove the video card, how will I see whether or not I'm in BIOS?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I think, you will still be in the BIOS, even though no visual output.  please try.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I removed the 4 sticks of RAM and the video card, turned the PSU on, pressed the On button and the mobo leds lit up and 2 additional blue leds lit up and it beeped 9 long beeps, then shut off.  It the did the same thing over again until I turned the PSU off.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

On startup, did you attempt to enter the BIOS?   As beeps are hear, looks like POST has started.   If you did not try to enter BIOS, please try and report back, 

The only result for 9 short beeps,, repeated, is ROM BIOS checksum failure, but that isn't definitive as Gigabyte may have their own codes. 

Page 7 of the MB manual shows where the LEDs are.   

Top left is for the CPU, should not be lit as the CPU  is operating and as you are getting beeps, POST is initialized. 

Top right, 4 in a row, CPU phase state, OK if lit.

Just below those 4, a single LED for the Memory, should be lit.

Just to the left of SATA ports 0 and 1, LED for the HDDs, should not be lit.

At the right end of the PCIE 16 slot (video card), LED should be lit, (LED also is for the PCIE 8 slot. 

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

My computer, when it was working right, the mobo leds (approximately 6 of them in a row) would light up and a second or two later, it would give one short beep and then the splash screen would appear.  To get into Bios, I would tap the Del key.

Now, the same approx 6 mobo leds light up and immediately, it starts 9 long beeps, not short beeps.  I kept tapping the Del key but it crashed and then started up again about 2-3 seconds later with led lights and 9 long beeps.  I kept tapping the Del key but it crashed again.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Can't find anything for 9 long beeps.</p>
When you power up, do the keyboard keys flash?
When starting, try immediately holding down the Del key.

After the MB lights flash, then most go out, what LEDs are still lit.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I took a really good look at the mobo lights.  There aren't only 6 leds that light up when I press start, there are 12: 4 red, 4 yellow and 4 green all in a row.  The way my mobo sits in the case, they're on the bottom of the mobo going upward.  Further up, about  5" inches and to the left of the RAM slots, a yellow and green led light up but go out when the mobo starts to beep.  Also, when those 12 mobo leds in a row light up, a green led lights up that's located about 3\4" above them.   When the mobo starts to beep, a blue led lights up right above that green one.  There's also a yellow led to the left of the CMOS battery that blinks on when the pc starts and then turns off and blinks on again right before it crashes it.

When I turn the power on to the PSU, a red led turns on and stays on until I try to boot up.  That red led is located half way between the row of 12 leds and the green led.  Also the mobo has a Power button, a Clear CMOS button and a Reset button.  When I have the PSU turned on, they light up and stay lit up until the pc crashes.

Now, I say yellow leds but they can also be called orange.  The green leds are a yellowish-green.  The red leds are red and the blue leds are blue.

I held down the Del key immediately after I pressed the On button but it never went into BIOS.  It kept crashing.

I have a USB keyboard.  The keys are backlit.  Nothing on the keyboard ever blinked.  My mouse has a led that lights up when the pc power turns on, same as always.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Is this how your MB looks, in the case?

Attached Thumbnails

• GA.png

Advertisements

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

The picture is upside down.

EDIT:  No, it's not upside down, it's a mirror reflection.

Edited by Denisejm, 12 April 2019 - 09:16 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

What I have gathered about how the LEDs should behave.

The 12 LEDs indicate the operating phases of the CP, when running.

The next 4 LEDs show the state of the system when the computer is off, like sleep, hibernation, etc.

Blue LEDs give information about hardware installed, like the length of a Video card, PCI card, etc.

Those LEDS do not indicate problems.

Green/yellow LEDs flash at startup, searching for hardware installed, go out if an item is not detected or item is functioning normally   Stay on if the item has a Problem.

Red/orange are indicators of a strate.   When you switch on the PSU, red LED light to indicate power to the system/CPU, when the system starts, should go out and when you shut down, should come on again, warning you that the system has power to it.

The start/stop/repeat, could be corrupted or incorrect BIOS setting.   This worth a try.   Please get a CR2032 3.0v battery, about $4, local drug store, supermarket, 

Post back when you get it and I will give you the best way to proceed. 

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I bought a 2032 battery a few months ago to replace the original one but I couldn't figure out how to get the battery out of the motherboard.  I've since moved and I've been looking for the new  battery and haven't been able to find it. I was going to pick another one up the next time I went shopping but I've been too busy to go shopping.  The new pc will be arriving tomorrow so I think at this point, I'm just going to give up trying to figure out what's wrong with it.  I'm going to remove the hdds and put the RAM in anti-static bags move the rest of it into the garage.  Maybe I'll try selling it on eBay.  The case is still in like new condition.  Maybe someone will want it.  If not, I'll just dump it someday.

I appreciate all the help you've given me.  Thanks very much and thanks for helping me pick out a new pc. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You may want to have another go at it later,if not I  would not dump it, dismantle and sell parts seperately.

ram tested OK, it gets harder to find and gets more expensive, sell.

MB CPU, still sell as not confirmed working.

Case, good quality, should get a good price.

psu, gpu, if you have a local PC store, ring and find out how much they would charge to test the parts, if Good, sel the gpu, keep the psu as a spare.

Your new pc, a few suggestions.

Do not add other drives until everything is up and running.

Do not partition the OS drive, it slows down performance as, for a boot drive, you cannot simultaneously read from one partition and write to the other partition. 

Do not defrag the SSD, it causes degradation and shortens the life of the drive.   Install  the Samsung Magician.   In the background, it will do garbage collection, optimise each cell, it's own kind of defrag, without shortening the life of the drive.   On install, it may pop up a notice that newer Firmware is available, follow the prompts and update. 

don't forget to set for Metered Connection, prevent windows downloading drivers and set Update to inform of updates, but not download.

Any problems, please post.

Good luck. 

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thanks for the advice about my old pc . . .  I'll give all suggestions a shot sometime in the future.

And thanks for the advice about not defragging the ssd.  I usually do that.  I'll turn off auto defrag in Windows.

Will do Samsung Magician.

I wasn't going to partition the hdd.  It's only 500Gb so I'll only keep Windows, installed programs, wallpaper pictures and My Documents on it and give Windows the rest of the room it needs to do its stuff.

I'm getting low battery warning . . .  gotta go for now.