Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Device Driver will not update

• Please log in to reply

scewter

scewter

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Hi folks. I've been unable to complete the installation/connection of a new printer to a PC running Win 7 Home Premium. The printer works on other pcs in the home, but the computer in question does not complete the connection during install. Appears to be a driver issue even though I've updated/installed the correct driver from the Setup CD, then from the OEM's website. I've had similar connection problems occasionally with some thumb drives (newer ones) and currently have the same problem with a UPS connection. After installing the software that came with UPS the same computer will not connect and recognize the UPS. I tried the same thing on another desktop with an identical setup (almost identical) and was successful with the install. The problem as best I can tell is related to an out-of-date driver or uninstalled driver(s)? Have been working on this issue for quite a while now and tried several different things - still no luck.

I'm at the point where I think the only solution may be to perform a fresh install of the OS, or upgrade to Win 10. It would be my preference to avoid that if possible. I've run a few diagnostics and there appears to be a problem with Device Drivers as well as PlugAndPlay Device Configured Fail Count.

I've also been through several malware scans and the computer appears to be clean.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thnx in advance

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello scewter,

but the computer in question does not complete the connection during install. 

What exactly happens,any error messages or does the printer software install but the printer is not detected etc.

I've had similar connection problems occasionally with some thumb drives (newer ones) and currently have the same problem with a UPS connection. After installing the software that came with UPS the same computer will not connect and recognize the UPS. I tried the same thing on another desktop with an identical setup (almost identical) and was successful with the install.

It would appear to me that the problem very well may be with the MBs USB ports.

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs against the USB ports or USB hub.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

First of at least 2 posts:

http://speccy.pirifo...j6CYrrug08XSVCZ

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Forgot to start by thanking you for your time in this.

This is in reply to your first couple of questions:

When installing the new printer (P600) by way of CD setup I initially get several messages which say "Attempted an unsupported operation" which are by EPWizard. I select OK and then proceed

Ultimately I get to the point where the instructions say to attach the USB cable from the printer to the computer. Everything to that point appears to be moving along as one would expect (with the exception of the first nuisance messages). After connecting the cable I get the following pop-up msg from the sys tray which says "EPSON Printer Utility 006B, Device driver software installed successfully". This indicates to me everything is working as it should be:

I then click on next after the USB connection is made and I get the following message which says "Connecting your printer, printer detected. Please wait...." and it has a big green checkmark. The Back, Next, and Cancel button at the bottom are greyed out.

Again so far so good. This is the same process I go through when I successfully connected/installed it to another computer. However the difference at this point with a successful install it quickly recognizes the printer, allows me to click on next and then perform a print test. On this computer it hangs here for 5 - 10 mins then comes back with the following message which reads "Setup Summary, Printer setup was unsuccessful. See your printer's Support page for additional information".

The Device Manager you asked about appear to show a problem under the Other devices area. I'll try and attach screen shots of that if I can:

It's specific to the P600 and the pop-up properties dialog box indicates the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28).

The USB ports and the USB hub appear ok - i.e. no flags.

OK, I think I answered the questions you had asked.

Again, thnx for your time in looking at this for me.

Standing by...

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture2.JPG
  • Capture3.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You have the software for various other printers still installed and one of them (Brother HL-2240 series) is set as the default printer, I would suggest that you first of all uninstall the software for any printers that you no longer have, if you still have the Brother printer that is set as the default printer and if it still works without issue I would leave the software for this installed until you have any replacement installed and up and running.

Spotted a couple of other issues in your Speccy results but for now I will only mention the most important, Windows looks to be a couple of months out of date and you are on the threshold of the minimum amount of free storage space on the C: drive that is required by Windows, the former puts you at risk of malware attack as can the latter as it can prevent Windows and any other software on the C: drive from updating, see canned info below;

For Windows to be able to run efficiently and to be able to update you need to have between 20 and 25% of the partition or drive available as free storage space at all times, if you don`t you risk Windows becoming corrupt or not being able to update which puts you at risk of malware attack.

Data only storage devices should not be allowed to get any lower than 10% of free storage space of the full capacity of the drive/partition on the drive.

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

OK, thnx for the input. I'll get on this straight away and let you know the results. I'll run Speccy again after doing that and post the results.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Sounds like a plan  :thumbsup:

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Performing Win updates presently then will focus on creating more space on the C: drive.

Reviewed the printer software programs and all of them (3?) are in use. The default Brother is the primary doc printer. The Epson printer (P600) is a large format picture printer and the one that the computer will not connect to.

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Win 7 updates completed. Disk cleanup performed. Will need to take a closer look at this and figure out a long-term solution (new SSD with larger capacity?) as I'm still under the 25% level.

Here's the most recent run of Speccy:

http://speccy.pirifo...PthW7Ny2fu263l1

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The default Brother is the primary doc printer. The Epson printer (P600) is a large format picture printer and the one that the computer will not connect to.

That is only two and there is no evidence of any Epson software having been installed.

Speccy lists the following;

Brother HL-2230 series

Brother HL-2240 series

Canon MF220 Series

Canon MF227

Please advise which working printers you actually have hooked up to the computer.

Advertisements

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

The Epson software is installed when I look at the several places - C:drive_Program Files and Program FIles (x86), and Control Panel_Programs and Features.

Of the four printer software programs you list (2 Brother, and 2 Canon), only the Brother HL-2240 is hooked up to this computer. The other three are network printers; HL-2230 is connected to another computer and on the network, and the Canon is a network all-in-one printer,scanner, copier, fax.

Btw, this Epson P600 is replacing another Epson printer product previously used on this computer - R2400. Pretty sure I removed all traces of that software before installing this new Epson (P600).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You can see for yourself that there is no Epson hardware or software listed in Speccy, this suggests to me that the software is either hidden or has not installed correctly, see info here

Networked printers,  makes sense now  :bashhead:

Network Shares
Users: C:\Users
MF220: Canon MF220 Series_for Penn_1,LocalsplOnly
MF220.1: Canon MF220 Series,LocalsplOnly
Brother HL-2240 series: Brother HL-2240 series,LocalsplOnly

Will wait until your update regarding the info at the above link for now.

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

OK, followed the info in the link. Got to step 4 and had the same results - unsuccessful. I will add that some temp files ( 5 or so) could not be cleared out as Step 2 required, however the file sizes were not very large. Per those instructions moved on to Step 5 which is to re-name the Setup.exe to Setup.old. However could not proceed any further because Setup.exe did not exist.

Also took note to ensure 'Hide extensions for known file types' was unchecked per the note right below Step 5.

I've included a snip of the Step where I can go no further.

All for now.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture_6.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, not been around for a couple of days  :(

It may be an idea to start afresh by getting rid of any Epson software that may presently be on the HDD, download and save the latest drivers from Epson and then restart the computer in Safe Mode only (no networking) and try installing the drivers that way.

For you to do below;

Download and run TFC your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

Post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, not been around for a couple of days  :(

It may be an idea to start afresh by getting rid of any Epson software that may presently be on the HDD, download and save the latest drivers from Epson and then restart the computer in Safe Mode only (no networking) and try installing the drivers that way.

For you to do below;

Download and run TFC your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

Post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

No need to apologize - I'm a patient guy. I just really appreciate getting a good set of eyes on this problem as I have spent many, many hours trying to solve it.

Speaking of which I have already attempted several times deleting all traces of the Epson software, then re-installing (following a full boot up). The difference is I had not thought about attempting this in the Safe Mode. Good suggestion!

I'll attempt that in a bit as well as the TFC scan, in the middle of couple other things right now.

Will follow through later today.

Thnx