Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Device Driver will not update

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks  :thumbsup:

Being on opposite sides of the world means that I may not be around when you post back but I will be around for a couple of hrs yet and the same again after work tomorrow.

Advertisements

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, not been around for a couple of days  :(

It may be an idea to start afresh by getting rid of any Epson software that may presently be on the HDD, download and save the latest drivers from Epson and then restart the computer in Safe Mode only (no networking) and try installing the drivers that way.

For you to do below;

Download and run TFC your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

Post an Autoruns log for us, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

No need to apologize - I'm a patient guy. I just really appreciate getting a good set of eyes on this problem as I have spent many, many hours trying to solve it.

Speaking of which I have already attempted several times deleting all traces of the Epson software, then re-installing (following a full boot up). The difference is I had not thought about attempting this in the Safe Mode. Good suggestion!

I'll attempt that in a bit as well as the TFC scan, in the middle of couple other things right now.

Will follow through later today.

Thnx

Meant to ask before, am I to assume that running TFC as well as Autoruns should be done in the Normal Mode (as opposed to the Safe Mode)?

thnx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Normal boot if you will.

NB: Can I ask that you do not quote every reply please, it really doesn't help any and just makes for more reading, thanks  :thumbsup:

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Worked through your recc's. Attempted to install the drivers in the safe mode, but the results are identical as before - unsuccessful.

Ran TFC and cleaned out 824mb of temp files.

Here's the text log of Autoruns:

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
As you can see from the AutoRuns info below there is definitely Epson software on your system

+ "EPSON SC-P600 Series 64MonitorBA" "EPSON Bi-directional Monitor AMD64" "(Verified) SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION" "c:\windows\system32\e_32lm1ga.dll" "3/5/2014 2:56 AM" ""
+ "EPSON Stylus Photo R2400 64MonitorBA" "EPSON Bi-directional Monitor" "(Not verified) SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION" "c:\windows\system32\e_ilm9sa.dll" "12/8/2006 1:50 AM" ""

Couple of questions if I may;

Have you or can you try setting up the printer on another computer, a notebook will do if you have one.

What version of drivers have you tried, example, earliest that I could find are;

Version: 6.74_Europe
Release Date: 20-Jul-2017
File Format: EXE
File Size: 44.02 MBs

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

I currently use that printer by way of a laptop (win10), so yes it has been set up and run on another computer. I would take the time to set it up on another (almost identical) desktop using win7 if you'd like, but I haven't taken the time to do this because I'm 99% sure of the result - would be successful.

The current driver I have tried to install came from the Epson website, V6.76, 10/12/18, exe, 59.0mb

I have also attempted to install the driver that came on an installation CD with the printer, however I can not tell what version, etc that is.

The driver in use on the laptop is the one from Epson's website.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I would take the time to set it up on another (almost identical) desktop using win7 if you'd like, but I haven't taken the time to do this because I'm 99% sure of the result - would be successful.

Pain in the proverbial I know but I would try setting it up on the aforementioned computer and if it does go as planned check the set up of both computers to see what/if anything is different.

The current driver I have tried to install came from the Epson website, V6.76, 10/12/18, exe, 59.0mb

Have you tried both the Drivers and Utilities Combo Package and the Drivers only option from the download link here

The only thing that I can think of that may be causing this is the drivers not installing correctly, not the first time that I have come across folk having problems with installing exe files and the causes include something having changed the registry and the AV protection that is running on the computer at the time.

Will wait on your update before suggesting anything further but do have something in mind for checking out Windows.

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Wanted to let you know I'm currently away fm home and won't be back until either Monday nite or Tuesday. I'll get back on this issue then.

In the meantime wanted to expand on some of the things I had previously run across with this computer. I first noticed a problem on or about Jan 2018 during install of a new UPS. The previous model had failed so I was installing a new one from a different manufacturer. Encountered the same problem I'm having now with the printer. The software was installed on the XPS 8500 to manage the UPS, but when connecting the communication cable the computer wouldn't see it (driver issue?). I went through several attempts to install it ensuring the previous software and drivers from the earlier manufacturer had been uninstalled, but no difference. In an attempt to make sure that specific UPS was not defective I installed it on my other desktop and was successful, so the unit and drivers were all good. Think I previously mentioned that other computer is nearly identical to the current computer in question (Dell XPS 8300 vs Dell XPS 8500, both running Win 7). Talked to the manufacturer of the UPS and they were of little help saying it was a problem with the current computer and not their product. Continued trying to correct the problem but could not find a solution. Ended up moving on - the UPS is hooked up and working, but all the features of managing how that interfaces with the computer are not available.

Since that time I have run across several "new" USB thumb drives that would not work on the XPS 8500 as well. Same issue - driver not found or unable to install.

Now I have an expensive color printer that will also not connect so decided now is the time to fix this issue I've been ignoring for a while.

During the trouble shooting I'm pretty sure I had performed an install with the A/V and firewall disabled as a check to see if that may be the problem. No difference.

As to your question about trying both the Drivers and Utilities Combo Package and the Drivers only option from the download link - I'm not sure. I possibly have, but won't know until I can get back and review all my notes on this. I know for sure I've attempted multiple time the drivers from the website you referenced as well as the install CD.

When I get home, I'll go through the process of trying the printer install on my XPS 8300. Assuming it's successful, I'm not sure what I'd be looking for regarding the set up of both computers to see what may be different? I say that because I went through that exercise last year when I had the initial problem installing the UPS. I guess I'm just not that fluent when it comes to analyzing the difference, or said another way - not exactly sure what to look for.

thnx

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for your thorough update and please do not worry about any delay between replies, none of us can be around 24/7 so fully understand, chances are that I  may not be around on Tuesday btw  :thumbsup:

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

First of several posts.

Installation completed on my other computer (XPS 8300). No issues at all. Printed a test page - all good. I'll attach couple of snips to this message which displays some info regarding the installation.

I'll mention here that I did notice during the install the results displayed in the first capture were not the same during multiple attempts on the the other computer (XPS 8500). Before displaying "Ready to use" in the right column they briefly displayed "searching Windows Updates", or words to that affect before showing the green checkmark and Ready to use. I have not seen that on the other computer. Just an observation on my part that continues to lead me to conclude a problem with loading drivers which may originate with the Windows Updating process?

Also ran Speccy. Here's the info:

http://speccy.pirifo...SY0JbdPDYNtGlBh

I'll include an Autoruns log on the next post - too big for this one

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Capture_2.PNG
  • Capture_3.PNG

Advertisements

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Here's the Autoruns text file:

Turns out it wasn't too large after all - operator error.

Have not gotten to your last request yet - attempting install using just the standalone driver (not the combo package) from Epson's website.

Not real sure how I would do that, so will play with it a bit this afternoon.

thnx

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

We can see in the XPS 8300 Autoruns log that more Epson software has successfully installed so something is definitely preventing the full Epson software package from installing on the XPS 8500, it will be tedious but you may need to go right the way through both Speccy reports to see what differences there are, example, the User Account Control (UAC) is enabled on the XPS 8300 but it is disabled on the XPS 8500.

i7 comp speccy url

i5 comp speccy url

Long shot but might be worth a try, delete any Epson software that is on the problem computer, enable the UAC, copy the Epson software from the XPS 8300 onto a USB thumbdrive, boot the XPS 8500 into Safe Mode only and then try installing the Epson software from your thumbdrive.

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

ok, I'll give that a try.

thnx

scewter

scewter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Gonna have to put that back on hold - leaving town for another 4 days. Back on next Tuesday/Wednesday.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:thumbsup: