Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Highly suspect URL/Web Activity monitored on home network

• Please log in to reply

CaliGirl

CaliGirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi there,

I share a home network with several other people, one specifically I suspect is either remotely monitoring or has created a user profile before I added password protection (on an admin account ... I know, dumb move).  I have since then created new user profiles which I seriously doubt helped.

That said, my system slows to a CRAWL at certain times during the day.  A lot of networked services/processes going on at any given time.

I have spent DAYS downloading/using tools - Wireshark, Procmon, Proc Hacker, WMI Analyzer, misc log analyzers, yada yada. Also have used several spyware/malware/anti-rootkit apps ... stuff comes up, but figuring it all out ... MIND BOGGLING.  I'm seriously losing my mind.

My guess .. he wrote a script of some sort which is collecting URLs visited & broadcasting out to the network, something which is anonymous & does not leave a trace.

I highly suspect it's a legit service/process which was implemented when I did not have a password on my PC, therefore likely not showing up as malware.

Can someone PLEASE help me!  While I'd love to know if this in fact did happen in the past, I'm mostly concerned about the present.  Protecting my privacy & preventing future access to my system through any backdoors which might be present.

Any assistance would be SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!  I've spent almost 3 days on this, my brain is honestly ready to EXPLODE!

ADDITION: Sorry, my OS is Win 7 Home Premium

Sincerely,

Angela

Edited by CaliGirl, 21 March 2019 - 12:13 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

• Get FRST from http://www.bleepingc...very-scan-tool/You need to download the appropriate tool for your PC.  If you don't know if you have a 32 or 64 bit system get them both.  Only one will work and that's the right one.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Check the Addition.txt box
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will produce a log called FRST.txt in the same directory the tool is run from.  
  • Please copy and paste log back here.
  • It will generate another log (Addition.txt - also located in the same directory as FRST.exe/FRST64.exe). Please also paste that along with the FRST.txt into your reply.