Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card problem

Best Answer phillpower2 , 14 April 2019 - 04:44 AM

One of life`s mysteries how the HD 5450 worked with such a weak PSU which as an asides is very unlikely to even be able to produce the claimed 240W, generic Chinese imports are renowned for being o... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Aero is best disabled when there is no dedicated video card present Frequently Asked Questions for Windows Aero*

Advertisements

Skelly2019

Skelly2019

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

ok

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Any repeat of the original problems over the past nine days since you removed the add on video card.

Skelly2019

Skelly2019

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

All seems good

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Which at least proves that the 240W PSU is still ok for powering the basic hardware, as to your option/s, getting the GT710 tested to see if using a below spec PSU has damaged it is about all that you can do, some tech stores will test it for free in the hope of making a sale should the card prove to be bad, some will charge a small fee for testing so I would suggest that you ask them first.

Skelly2019

Skelly2019

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

My friend confessed to me that he had a Radeon HD5240 before using this GT710 and the Radeon used 400W. 100 more than the new card and he never had a problem with it. Hmm

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

My friend confessed to me that he had a Radeon HD5240 before using this GT710 and the Radeon used 400W. 100 more than the new card and he never had a problem with it. Hmm

Hmm indeed, there is no such card, never has there been, regardless of this, we don`t determine what PSU is required the card manufacturers do and if you ignore their guidance you only have yourself to blame when the card fails.

Skelly2019

Skelly2019

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Sorry it should be Radeon HD 5450

Its washis problem not mine.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Well a Radeon HD 5450 requiring a 400W PSU is correct, did the card happen to fail while being powered by the 240W PSU, we have to be both polite and non judgemental but we must also be honest, the 240W PSU was no good for the less power hungry GT710 so not sure how it would power a card that requires a 400W PSU.

Skelly2019

Skelly2019

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

That Radeon worked fine surprisingly. It was only when he put this new GT710 in. That he started to get the problems. Both where 2GB cards!?!?!?! Why change something that isnt broke i say.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

One of life`s mysteries how the HD 5450 worked with such a weak PSU which as an asides is very unlikely to even be able to produce the claimed 240W, generic Chinese imports are renowned for being overrated and it is not uncommon for a PSU labelled as 240W to only produce 180W when tested.

Why change something that isnt broke i say.

Couldn`t agree with you more, newer is not always better.