Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't load: the operating system couldn't be loaded be

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Kittystillbites

Kittystillbites

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello, urgently need help!

When I came to my laptop this morning I noticed it to be "on" with blank screen even though I left it in hibernate for the night. Since nothing was happening I restarted and laptop would freeze at rotating dots.

So I started trying various advices from the internet, most of which was just using general repairs and later booting from bootable USB and working around drives, partitions. It seems I tried everything out there, but nothing helped... it even got worse.

Now I see the blue screen with this error: "The operating system couldn't be loaded because the system registry file is missing or contains errors". Again, I tried everything, but my drives look different than in any of the tutorials and I might have mixed them up in some weird way. I don't know where the extra drive is coming from.

I also uploaded the screen I get after hitting f12. It shows legacy boot > USB storage device and UEFI boot > UEFI: General USB Flash Disk 1.0. I tried both options numerous times in all kinds of variations. I've been stuck on this my whole day today, because I really need my laptop back. Preferably with all files and programs intact. I don't know what is the difference between the two. Which one I should use for the bootable USB?

Laptop is Dell latitude E7450, Windows 10.

Right now I only get a few repair options that don't help at all, otherwise I always come back to this blue error screen.

What should I do? 20190326_225255.jpg 20190326_225406.jpg

P.S. after trial and error earlier today I found out that bootres.dll is corrupted 20190326_141528.jpg

A bit more research showed that the whole boot folder is empty. My knowledge is very limited, so I probably missed a lot of stuff, but I was working around this issue until the registry problem.

Edited by Kittystillbites, 26 March 2019 - 05:17 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi :welcome:

Dell machines have diagnostic tools built-in you should run the tests by pressing the F2 key immediately after starting the computer.

Kittystillbites

Kittystillbites

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I tried that. No errors

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

If you let the system boot normally the error is the same about the registry like the first image?

Kittystillbites

Kittystillbites

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes, if I boot normally it immediately shows the registry error now

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Can you access the Command Prompt by pressing F8 on the screen with the error or something like that?

Kittystillbites

Kittystillbites

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
F8 doesn't give anything, just gives a list of safe mode options and other ways to start, but none is working- returns to the original error immediately after the button press. I can reach cmd with the help of my bootable usb

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Ok boot from the USB flash drive and from the Command Prompt try to locate what is the drive containing Windows, sometimes is C: others D:...

Use the commands

dir c:\
dir d:\

Run a disk check on the drive containing windows chkdsk /f /r C: (replace C: with the correct drive letter you find on the previous step using the dir command)

Kittystillbites

Kittystillbites

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Did this several times before, and now again, but no errors...
20190327_184437.jpg

It is also concerning me that there are extra drives.. Is it normal? Notepad is the only thing I can access, which allowed me to backup a few things. Previously I was able to upload files to the SD card, which I can no longer see.

20190327_184959.jpg

Kittystillbites

Kittystillbites

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
And this is startup repair attempt
20190327_185455.jpg

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Did this several times before, and now again, but no errors...&&0

You did check the C: and the D: drive visible on Notepad?

What is the drive containing the operating system?

Kittystillbites

Kittystillbites

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
C contains Windows, D appears to have boot files: BCD, bootx64 and many others

All partitions
20190327_184536.jpg

Disk D contents
20190327_194011.jpg

Disk X contents
20190327_194031.jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Thanks for the extra pictures of diskpart

Can you post also the result of list disk inside diskpart

and also:

select  disk  0

list  partition

Did you do any upgrade to the HDD? like replacing the HDD with a SSD or a bigger drive?

Kittystillbites

Kittystillbites

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here's the list disk
20190327_195524.jpg

No, didn't change a single thing. I am pretty sure it's SSD since the beginning. I had issues with windows updates, which would start my laptop from hibernation, attempt to update, then revert the update, because it didn't work out. I think I disabled the updates since then, but now I am not sure. It's just weird that the laptop powered on itself (or maybe I forgot to shutdown it down for the night...?)

Kittystillbites

Kittystillbites

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Can't edit (phone), so here are the partitions of disk 0
20190327_200132.jpg