Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

deleting old copy of XP

• Please log in to reply

jimbo451

jimbo451

• Pip
  • 6 posts
After having troubles starting XP I installed a fresh copy in a separate directory and it works fine. Should I delete the old copy (this would be ideal as it takes up valuable disk space). Whats the best way to do this bearing in mind simply 'deleting' it will prob leave various system files behind??? Any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
By directory, do you mean "partition"? If so, reformat the partition with the unwanted XP install. If you actually got XP to install on the same partition in a separate folder, that would be a neat trick. How does it present itself at boot? Do you have to choose between the two XP installs?

Johanna

jimbo451

jimbo451

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I just installed it on same partition but changed name of directory. Then it just gives you an option between the two XP installations at startup. Wouldn't be surprised if it starts to cause a few probs later on though. Suppose I could just delete it unless you know how to uninstall it?? (don't think you can do it in add/remove progs??)