Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 Updates

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi
I downloaded the update. When I try to install it, Windows brings up a box with "this update is not applicable to this computer" and will not install.
What now?
Thanks
MikeBack

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

We can try a different approach and upgrade directly to the latest version. Do you agree?

To the Command Prompt copy & paste the following command:

dir /A c:\ >"%userprofile%\desktop\list.txt"

A new file called list.txt will be created on the Desktop please attach the file to your post or copy & paste its contents.

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi
I downloaded the update and tried to install it.
Windows gives the message "this update does not apply to this computer'
What now?
Thanks
MikeBack

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Sorry replying to the wrong message.  Old age did not read carefully.

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi
If I run the command give by you in Command Promp as Administrator I get the following back "c:\windows\system32".
If I run it normally Iget the following back"c;\users\Barry".

Any suggestions?
Thanks
MikeBack

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

If I run the command give by you in Command Promp as Administrator I get the following back "c:\windows\system32".
If I run it normally Iget the following back"c;\users\Barry".

In both cases the command will work, did you check for the new file list.txt created on the desktop?

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi Sorry, I'ev been copying files to the new Win 10 machine from a recovery disc from my old Win 7 machine and did not look at the desktop.
The list.txt file is attached.

Attached Files

• Attached File  list.txt   3.13KB   437 downloads

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Thanks for the file.

If you agree to do the Upgrade then before proceed you should remove the following folders from the C: drive

- $WINDOWS.~BT

- Windows.old

- Windows10Upgrade

To do this you may need to change the Windows configuration to Show Hidden and System files, if you need help to do this follow Method 2 from this guide:

https://www.isumsoft...windows-10.html

If you have any 3rd party Antivirus or Security program besides Windows Defender that is included on Windows 10 please Uninstall the product before initiating the upgrade.

Next visit https://www.microsof...nload/windows10 and click Update Now to download a small tool that will initiate the upgrade.

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Hi

I've tried to remove the programmes listed on you post and I'm getting the following message "you need permission from a TrustedInstaller to make changes to the folder" 

I'm the only person who works with the computer. How do I set the permission level so that I can access all the files? I took over this computer when a college died and I took over his bussiness. How do I change the user name from Barry to Mike?

Also, what is the risk with installing the Update?

Thanks

MikeBack

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Do you get that error on all those folders?

The system by itself have different permissions set to protect critical system files and to work properly you should not change that to avoid troubles.

Due to the complexity of changing the user name Windows doesn't do it completely only do that partially... a best solution is to create a new user account with the name you want and remove the old user.

The update is suppose to keep everything in terms of data and programs but of course for safety its always recommended to have backup of your data.

Windows 10 v1703  is three versions behind the latest one and Windows will not stop trying to upgrade the system automatically some times in inconvenient moments...

Advertisements

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi
Windows 10 Upgrade has been deleted
$Windows.~BT says that it is in use by another proramme.
Windows.Old say the same thing.
Only portion of the files in the directories were removed.
What do I do now?
Thanks
MikeBack

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Ok, try to do the upgrade using the downloaded exe.

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi
I tried to update using the method in your previous post.
Got the message "something went wrong. Error code 0x80004005"
What do I do now please?
Can you also give me some information. I have just finished restoring files recovered off the old Win 7 machine. Can you recommend a good free backup programme please.
Thanks
MikeBack

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

I need to check the installation logs, please try to collect the following files:

C:\Windows\Panther\Setupact.log
C:\Windows\panther\setuperr.log
C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log
C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log

Some may not exist. Copy the files to the Desktop, zip them and attach the zip file to your post.

About the backup, it depends in what you want to do, only your files or a full backup of the system? where is the backup stored?

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Attached File  setuperr.rar   4.26KB   364 downloadsAttached File  setupapi.dev.rar   34.79KB   381 downloadsAttached File  setupact.rar   3.36MB   394 downloadsHi

C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.app.log does not exist.

All the others are attached.

As far as back up goes.  I will be backing up to a 1.5tB external drive and I want a programme that will allow me to back up files and data and check the files on the back up to ensure they are the current version. 

Thanks MikeBack