Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 Updates

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

The log show that there is a problem with the BCD file used by Windows to boot so we need to recreate it, do you have a Windows 10 DVD/ flash drive that can be used to boot the computer?

If not please access the Microsoft web page https://www.microsof...nload/windows10 but this time download the Media Creation Tool and create a DVD or flash drive containing Windows 10.

Let me know if you have problems doing this.

For the backup if you want a "manual" tool to help doing the backup that only copy files/folders that have changed and show all the changes before doing it I use FreeFileSync https://freefilesync.org/

Advertisements

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi

I have downloaded the file from Windows and copied it to a DVD. The file has an.msu extention. Is his correct?
If so, What do I do next.

I have downloaded a copy of EaseUS ToDo Backup (free version). Is it any good, the writeup and review gives it 4.5 stars.

Thanks
MikeBack

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

I have downloaded the file from Windows and copied it to a DVD. The file has an.msu extention. Is his correct?
If so, What do I do next.

Sorry but no! the direct link for the file is https://go.microsoft.../?LinkId=691209its a program that you have to run and follow the instructions to create the Windows 10 DVD or flash drive.
The following guide https://www.techsupp...-dvd-installer/on step 2 explain what you need to do.

I have downloaded a copy of EaseUS ToDo Backup (free version). Is it any good, the writeup and review gives it 4.5 stars.

I know that the program is used by many people to do full backups of the machine, I don't know the program in detail... I tend to avoid any File backup that uses some proprietary format instead of plain copy or zip the files because the restore process can be more difficult...

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Hi Sleepy Dude

I have downloded the ISO file and made a bootable USB drive.

What do I need to do now?

Thanks

MikeBack

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Boot the computer using the USB flash drive and start the install until you see the option Repair your Computer
Access the Command Prompt and then type the following commands:

diskpart
select disk 0
list volume
list partition
exit

Post the result of both the list commands.

Edit:

Also tell me the result of the following command:

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Hi

The computer is set to boot directly off the harddrive. 

When it boots up, only the manufacturers logo come up and does not give one the option of changing the set up, and I can not remember which key to press to get into the boot menu.

Please advise.

Thanks

MikeBack

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Brand and Model of the machine? or if OEM brand and model of the motherboard.

You can also try to select the Restart option and at the same time hold the SHIFT key, this should give you access to the following screen

win10_safe_mode_13.png

Click Use a device to see if the system boots from the USB flash drive.

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi

I have tried holding the Shift key down while clicking on the Restart button and all I get on the screen is CONTINUE, TROUBLE SHOOT AND TURN OFF YOUR PC. No USE A DEVICE tab.

The PC was supplied by a company called Proline and the only information that I ca find is that it is a ACPI x64-based PC. I ahve not openened the box to see if I can find a motherboard manufacturers name.

I know that on my old Windows 7 PC I could tap one of the F keys, F8 if I remember correctly. I tried it on this PC and all I get is a screen asking which way I want to boot up, SAFE MODE etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

MikeBack

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

The key to access the BIOS or to temporarily change the boot order is different for every manufacturer, without this information is more difficult to suggest the correct key.

Usually there is some information on screen about this key but in many machines because they start very vast due to SSD's etc. is difficult to read the screen during boot...

We can learn more about your computer hardware by doing the following:

• download Speccy Portable save the file to some place
  • extract the Zip file spsetupxxx.zip to an empty folder
  • run Speccy/Speccy64 according to the Operating System you have

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

• In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  • In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  • Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box

Please post the resulting URL.

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Hi

I have tried to publish the snapshot but get the message "Error can not access the Publishing server "

I ahve created a snapshot and save it as a text file. I have attached both files.

Thanks

Edited by SleepyDude, 16 April 2019 - 02:10 AM.
Removed attachs that may contain private information

Advertisements

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi

Just been able to create a snapshot.

Here is the URL. http://speccy.pirifo...l1SdfdBKDpsRJa2

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

The speccy website seems down so thanks for the file, I remove it because the file contains more information including Windows keys, etc. that are automatically removed from the on-line snapshot.

For reference this is the MSI web page for your motherboard https://www.msi.com/...upport/H67MAE35

According with the manual you need to press the F11 key to access the boot menu where you can change the boot order temporarily, start pressing the key immediately after starting the computer.

The BIOS/UEFI can be accessed by pressing the DEL key.

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Hi

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

I had a project to complete and could not afford to have a possible problem with the computer.

I ahve just tried to reboot the computer uasing a Windows 10 boot flashdrive/memory stick.

I agt this error message

****ERROR : LEGACY BOOT OF UEFI MEDIA *****

MikeBack

MikeBack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Sorry pressed the wrong key and got thrown out of the webpage.

Error message is:

****ERROR : LEGACY BOOT OF UEFI MEDIA****

This drive casn only boot in UEFI Mode.

It can not boot in BIOS/Legacy Mode

If you want to boot this drive in BIOS/Legacy Mode, you should recreate it in RUFUS using the following settings:

*PARTITION SCHEME ->MBR

*TARGET SYSTEM -> BIOS...

What do I do now?

Thanks

MikeBack

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

No problem.

You use Rufus to put the ISO into the flash drive?