Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac Book Pro late 2008 keep restarting and kernel panic - please help

• Please log in to reply

tommasky

tommasky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi,
I really need some support from the Mac community. Here’s my problem:
I own a Late 2008 Mac Book Pro serial W88492RM1G0, 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB DDR3 a 1333 MHz ( I upgraded the RAM few years ago, originally mounted the 1066 Mhz), NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, 1 Tb Fusion Drive with 550Gb SSD and 500Gb HD.

It worked fine until 1 years ago it started having serious issues of power supply. The input of the power supply became very hot, and the Magsafe did not worked properly. The pins were stuck. I changed the Magsafe, but the new lasted few months then started again.
I changed the input on the computer but still it become very hot

Then bigger issues came up:
it freezes if I move it, or even alone, and then shows kernel panic messages.
it restart from nothing, when I work
Sometimes it does not restart and when restart there’s a beep message: 3 long beeps and 3 short beeps. It stops only if I force the shutdown
Sometimes it shows the wrong way sign, once even a half apple.

Please advice on what is the issue, and how to solve it. I’m considering buying a new one, of course, please do not waste our time with such advices. I spent 300€ on new SSD and other works, I ‘d like not to lose that money.

Thanks from the core for your help

Tommaso

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Personally, I wouldn't waste another minute or $1 on a 10 year old computer with multiple problems. It's nothing but a money pit. And when and if you were able to get it back up and running, what have you got? An ancient 10 year old computer.

Just saying ... ;)