Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot issues, Sometimes?

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 05 May 2019 - 05:39 AM

it will literally ONLY post if ram is in B1 OR B1/B2 but will read as single regardless.   If the board will post when the RAM is populating any other than the slots that the RAM is... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Dsteines

Dsteines

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Hello, i recently built my own PC , I installed my OS via a USB and my main boot drive is my SSD (C:) drive. I sometimes get a blue screen while booting with a message of "A required device isn't connected or cannot be accessed " or something similar to this. It's around 40-50% of the times i boot my PC that this happens, and i thought it was odd that it was only sometimes and not every time. The only thing i really read is using the windows repair function with the boot device but i unfortunately don't have that, but i can re-download the same OS onto the USB and attempt this? i was wondering if anybody here would have any input re-guarding this before i attempted that.

Attached Thumbnails

• BOOT.png

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   Dsteines,

Is your computer working ok at the moment, if yes, see the below, if no, just advise us of such.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Dsteines

Dsteines

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

For some reason or another it is unable to connect to the publishing server for Speccy however i saved it and can upload it on here if that's fine.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You can upload the txt doc if you like but can I ask that you delete any product keys first.

Dsteines

Dsteines

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I do not see any product keys and hope i didn't miss anything, i deleted my IP i doubt it was necessary but i did lol.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
 I sometimes get a blue screen while booting with a message of "A required device isn't connected or cannot be accessed " or something similar to this. It's around 40-50% of the times i boot my PC that this happens, 

What you described in your OP suggests a possible loose cable to the boot device, is the SSD out of the box new and have you checked that both the SATA and the power connections are secure.

Regarding the info in your Speccy report, something looks amiss with your RAM and the MBs voltage, couple of questions if I may;

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

What is the brand and model name or number of the 16GB stick of RAM that you have, post a link to it if you can.

What slot on the MB is the stick of RAM in, call them slots 1 to 4 with slot 1 being the nearest to the processor.

RAM
16.0GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 266MHz (15-15-15-36)

Voltage
CPU CORE 1.210 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 2.496 V
VIN2 2.016 V
VIN3 1.995 V
VIN7 1.668 V

I have an early start in the morning so will be going offline shortly, will check back tomorrow sometime after work.

Dsteines

Dsteines

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

For ram i have this (2 8gb stick)-https://www.newegg.c...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I should mention since you did, my ram is in slots 3/4 because my CPU cooling fan cover slot 1 

for PSU i have - https://www.bhphotov...ft=BI:514&smp=Y

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Two things of note in your update, your RAM is not on the list of devices supported by the MB, see the canned explanation below and your CPU ships with a Wraith Stealth CPU cooler which should not interfere with any slots on the MB, if you are using a third party cooler, if yes, are you aware that doing so voids your AMD CPU warranty.

It may or it may not be the cause of your issues but having the RAM in the wrong slots is causing problems as in the following.

You have two sticks of RAM but only one is being detected.

The RAM is in single channel mode when it should be in dual channel mode, this means that even if working properly it would only be running at 50% of its actual speed.

The RAM is being reported as only working at 266MHz and possibly for the reason below.

There is no SPD (serial presence detect) reading which means that the BIOS and CPU have no idea as to what the specs of your RAM are.

Memory
Type Unknown
Size 16310 MBytes
Channels # Single
DRAM Frequency 266.1 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 15 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 15 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 15 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 36 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 51 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 19 %
Total Physical 16 GB
Available Physical 13 GB
Total Virtual 34 GB
Available Virtual 29 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 0

I should mention since you did, my ram is in slots 3/4 because my CPU cooling fan cover slot 1 

You should not have RAM is slot 1 when you have two sticks of RAM, the RAM should be in slots A2 and B2 which are the second and fourth slots from the CPU, did you not get a user manual with the MB, if not, download from here

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and RAM that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

The PSU is a budget one that is best suited for an entry level computer that does not have an add on video card, the GTX 1050 Ti is not a particularly power hungry card but it still needs a PSU with a minimum of a Bronze efficiency rating, you also have additional storage devices drawing power which will affect the PSUs efficiency.

Dsteines

Dsteines

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks for the advice, my first build so far and i wasn't 100% as far as how much power i'd need. Also, while putting the RAM in A2 and B2 which was suggested to do by my MOBO manual, for some reason it doesn't allow my computer to boot at all, the LED lighting on the MOBO indicates a possible RAM issue when i have installed as such. I'm not entirely sure why. The fan on my CPU is the fan that comes with it, however it extends out just above the first RAM slot(A1) even still this shouldn't be a problem assuming i use A2/B2. i will trouble shoot the RAM issues more and look into a higher PSU also. I appreciate your help and input!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

For now I would just look at checking out the RAM by trying one stick at a time in slot A1.

Going offline now as I have an early start, I will hopefully have time to check in tomorrow sometime after work.

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you Dsteines, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Dsteines

Dsteines

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hey Phill, sorry i have been working a lot, the past few days i have again started troubleshooting because i feel like something is going on with my ram that isn't normal at all , it wont post at all if i have a card in slot A2, weather it be single or dual, (A2/B2) and i thought this was very weird, it will literally ONLY post if ram is in B1 OR B1/B2 but will read as single regardless. I read somewhere that you could up your DRAM Voltage by .005 and try using it again and it might help , however this did nothing for me. The ram is RGB, and the RGB powers when in slot A2 but will not post. I can't currently buy a new PSU or ram but might have to be an option in the near future, in the mean time, do you have any other thoughts or troubleshooting ideas i could test?

Dsteines

Dsteines

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Also, not to knock speccy, but i used CPU-Z (CPUID) and got results for SPD.

Attached Thumbnails

• slot 3 spd.PNG
  • slot 4 spd.PNG

Edited by Dsteines, 04 May 2019 - 10:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer
it will literally ONLY post if ram is in B1 OR B1/B2 but will read as single regardless. 

If the board will post when the RAM is populating any other than the slots that the RAM is meant to be in it would normally suggest that the RAM is ok and that the board has memory slot problems, the RAM only being reported as Single channel is expected behaviour when being inserted as such.

If you check the feedback at Newegg here you will see that the board gets a lot of bad reviews and a few of the 1 egg reviews mention memory slot problems.

Also, not to knock speccy, but i used CPU-Z (CPUID) and got results for SPD.

As an asides, you are right as Speccy does not always get it spot on, one should keep in mind though that CPU-Z is specifically designed for hardware detection whereas Speccy checks for and reports whatever it can find for all hardware and all software, AV, drivers, OS (including updates) and any third party software that is installed, not bad for a free program imo.

Dsteines

Dsteines

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I entirely agree, i wasn't aware that it even existed and intend to keep it installed on my PC, also i think you may be correct in the assumption my mobo is the issue, i have been thinking the same since last trouble shooting. It's odd the RGB on the ram works while in a slot that wont post though. I figured it would just not light up at all. But it seems like A2 is not working so for now i might just run B2 seeing as it is also labeled a primary , and see if it will run fine Single. Thanks again for all your help. You are awesome and i appreciate your time.