Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random Windows 7 Crashes

• Please log in to reply

Solice93

Solice93

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello again, months ago I started a topic about my computer crashing at random intervals. It stopped after I followed the tech's steps, but now it has popped up again but a different set of things are happening.

Originally:
1. Computer will go into sleep mode.
2. Screen will completely go black.
3. Crashes with no output.
4. No output on monitor and holding down the power button for 6+ seconds will yield no response from the computer.

I read on a forum that changing the power mode to SR1 (or something like that) in the bios would fix this. I did it, and it worked, but I knew that it was only a bandaid for a larger problem. I could feel it.

Now, a similar set of crash steps occur:

1. Computer will crash randomly
2. Screen will completely go black.
(Sometimes) 3. It will reboot and freeze on the bios screen with no input accepted.
4. Power button input is accepted.
5. I can then reboot.

This most recent time, the screen went black and no input from the power button is accepted. I will have to cut power manually.

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it!

I use Windows 7 64-bit, and AMD 8350 Black processor, an Nvidia GTX 960 4gb VRAM, 16gb RAM, an Asus M5 A78L-M USB3 motherboard, and a brand new 1TB Samsung QVO SSD. If any other info is needed, I will gladly give it. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Advertisements

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Ran sfc, found no issues. Ran memory diagnoatic tool (standard, 1 pass, cache enabled) no issues. Crashes keep happening. Starting to get more worried

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 22,795 posts

Hello again Solice93,

Sounds very much like overheating which among other things can be caused by a weak or failing power supply.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the power supply (PSU).

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your OP, edit your opening post to include anything that you wish to add, when viewing the boards members/staff will always check out an OP that has no replies, if you reply to your own OP it can appear to others that you are already being assisted and your request for help could be overlooked, something that none of us want.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I can't even get the computer to stay usable long enough to download and post it now.

I'm using a Corsair CX550M.

I bought the motherboard with the processor and aftermarket cooler pre-attatched. They are used parts. The RAM, Motherboard, Cooler, and CPU are used. The thermal paste may need to be changed out. Idk, what do you think?

UPDATE:

http://speccy.pirifo...8BssWT57uO7iEXa

Got it to work!

PS Sometimes I have to use mobile, so please bare with me. Thank you!

Edited by Solice93, 14 April 2019 - 07:50 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 22,795 posts

We cannot view the Speccy url as their site has been down for some time  :(

Can you save your Speccy results as a txt file, edit out any product keys and then attach the file to your next reply for us.

I'm using a Corsair CX550M.

Not the best of PSUs when there is an add on video card involved but should be ok with your system, we will still take a look at at the temps and voltages, see below;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

So that we have a comparison to Speedfan, download, run and grab a screenshot of HWMonitor (free).

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

In addition to the above, being a modular PSU I would suggest that you checked to make sure that all cables are securely connected to both the PSU and the item of hardware that they are connected to.

Solice93

Solice93

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

All have been attached as requested. That resolution sucks though. I will also test the cables. I will update if I find anything amiss

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFan.jpg
  • CPUID HWMonitor 1.jpg
  • CPUID HWMonitor 2.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by Solice93, Yesterday, 06:17 PM.