Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User Profiles

• Please log in to reply

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Hi...I'm running WIN 7 on a Lenovo Thinkpad.  I am giving this laptop to a cousin (who could use one) and I am trying to clean it up so it can be totally her's.

What I have left to do is put her on as a user and take my account off but I am not sure how to do this exactly.  There is a document file in my name, I am presuming because windows is registered to me via Microsoft?  I would like my name not to appear anywhere on this laptop.

Can anyone tell me how to do this, please?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Add a new account with admin rights, give it a password

https://www.bleeping...indows-vista-7/

and restart.  Log in as new user.  Go back to user accounts and delete your account.  Tell it to remove your files too.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Thank you!

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Ok...having done that, upon search I still seem to find files in my name...what should i be looking for and can I delete them?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

What sort of files are you finding?  What folder are they in?  Might help to click on Computer then right click on the C:  and select Properties then Disk Cleanup.  Check everything but Compressing the drive.  Windows likes to hang on to deleted files.