Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password Violations

• Please log in to reply

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Hello there,

I was reading another thread on here, and a helper told the person they were helping to do the following: -

• Press [WindowsLogoKey]+[R], type in:

cmd

and press [Enter].

• At the command prompt, type:

net stats srv

and press [Enter].

Being inquisitive like I am, I tried following the instructions myself. In the resulting info which came up, I was told there were two password violations.

What on earth is that about? Is it something to be concerned about, please?

Many thanks,

Chris

Edited by Channeal, 17 April 2019 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

it appears to be the number of times the  password was entered incorrectly.

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Okay. Thanks for the info. A bit puzzled as it showed two password violations on two different days. I tried again yet another day and it was showing 0, so that's okay. Not sure where this came from though, as I know my password and - apart from occasionally turning Caps Lock on by mistake - I do not normaly get it wrong. Or maybe I do, without realising it - who knows? :)

A strange thing has happened now though. When I try to do this now, the command prompt window flashes up only very briefly and then disappears. It was okay the other day. Any idea why this would happen?

Edited by Channeal, 20 April 2019 - 12:08 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

The command prompt window pops up briefly because it appears to be executing a command "net stats srv"

Channeal

Channeal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

No, originally I was able to read all the information this command throws up, but then I was suddenly unable to read it any longer. Soon afterwards, I stopped being able to get into any program or browser on the computer, nor would it let me shut down normally. I eventually solved all that by running the Windows All-In-One Repair program provided at Tweaking.com which I have previously been advised to use when on this forum. That enabled me to use the computer again, apart from a message that the Windows Security Center Service wasn't working. When I tried to start it, I kept getting the message: 'The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.'

I remembered having this problem with the Windows Security Center Service once before when Phillpower2 was helping me on this forum, but for the life of me I couldn't remember how I solved it! I have at long last managed to solve it now though. It involved editing the registry and adding Winmgmt to netsrvs there. Once the Windows Management Service was working okay, the Security Service started working too.

No idea whether running the 'net stats srv' command had anything to do with these problems, though I wouldn't have thought so. It was most likely just a coincidence. I will probably never know what it was caused it! I am anyway very pleased indeed to have managed to sort this out by myself, but oh how I wish my memory was much better so that I could have achieved it a bit quicker! :)

Thanks for your help with my original question.

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 24 April 2019 - 07:17 AM.